European settings continues to be a treasure rove for Woody Allen. Though the opening weekend numbers are not quite as stratospheric as last year’s Midnight In Paris, the filmmaker’s latest To Rome With Love are nonetheless impressive. The Sony Pictures Classics release debuted in 5 theaters, grossing $379K on this side of the Atlantic, averaging just under $76K, Allen’s second-best in per-theater terms. Allen’s previous feature set in the City of Lights bowed in 6 theaters back in May of last year, averaging an astounding $99,834 and went on to gross slightly under $57M domestically. SPC’s Michael Barker said the distributor plans to roll out Allen’s latest more quickly than Paris, going “much wider” July 6th. “We think it will be great light entertainment for audiences here.” As he said just before the weekend, “It’s tonic for the summer studio films.”
Related: ‘The Invisible War’, ‘To Rome With Love’ Ready For Weekend Debuts
On to the weekend’s other specialty openers. Two docs debuted in theaters in limited release. Kino Lorber’s Kumaré bowed at the IFC Center in New York, taking in a cool $12K. The film expands to LA, Seattle, Denver and Tucson in the coming weeks, with more markets soon to follow, according to distributor Kino Lorber. “Our truth telling false prophet Kumaré led hordes of believers to IFC this weekend,” said Kino Lorber president Richard Lorber. “We expect these enlightening results to continue based on great reviews, viral digital interest and the infectiousness of Kumaré‘s success.” The Invisible War by vet doc filmmaker Kirby Dick opened comparatively modest in terms of screen average. A heavy but well told exposé on rape in the U.S. military was bound to be a challenge and the film averaged $4,900 in 4 locations.
Among holdovers, IFC Films’ Your Sister’s Sister added 34 theaters in its second weekend out, grossing $216K for a $4,600 average, Music Box Films’ Marina Abramovic The Artist Is Present lost one theater, grossing $7,500 in one location. Indomina’s Something From Nothing: The Art Of Rap had a big plunge in showings, though not surprising given its debut figures. It went from 157 theaters to only 16 in its second weekend, grossing a paltry $32K, averaging $2K. In its opening last week, the doc played 157 theaters, averaging $955.
In its 2nd month in release, Fox Searchlight’s The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel averaged $2,179 in 741 theaters and has cumed over $38M. Focus Features’ Moonrise Kingdom averaged $8,635 following a jump in locations. The Cannes 2012 opener added 217 theaters, taking in over $3.4M. “Moonrise continues its box office momentum with big grosses in the new opening markets/theaters, and in many holdover houses where the Friday and Saturday numbers increased from last weekend (or experienced very modest drops). Many houses had sellouts on Friday and Saturday,” Focus said.
1. To Rome With Love (Sony Pictures Classics) NEW [5 Theaters] Weekend $379K, Average $75,874
2. The Invisible War (Cinedigm) NEW [4 Theaters] Weekend $19,600, Average $4,900
3. Kumaré (Kino Lorber Films) NEW [1 Theaters] Weekend $12K, Cume $22,371 (5 day total)
Returning / 2nd Weekend
1. Your Sister’s Sister (IFC Films) Week 2 [47 Theaters] Weekend $216K, Average $4,600, Cume $378K
2. Something From Nothing: The Art Of Rap (Indomina) Week 2 [16 Theaters] Weekend $32K, Average $2K, Cume $261K
3. Marina Abramovic The Artist Is Present (Music Box Films) Week 2 [1 Theater] Weekend $7,500, Cume $23,787
Holdovers / 3RD+ Weekends
1. Moonrise Kingdom (Focus Features) Week 5 [395 Theaters] Weekend $3.41M, Average $8,635 Cume $11.625M
2. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (Fox Searchlight) Week 8 [741 Theaters] Weekend $1.615M, Average $2,179, Cume $38.37M
3. Bernie (Millennium Entertainment) Week 9 [220 Theaters] Weekend $484K, Average $2,202, Cume $6.697M
4. Safety Not Guaranteed (FilmDistrict) Week 3 [129 Theaters] Weekend $482K, Average $3,736, Cume $1.083M4. The Intouchables (The Weinstein Company) Week 5 [74 Theaters] Weekend $356K, Average $4,811, Cume $2.102M
5. For Greater Glory (ARC Entertainment) Week 4 [160 Theaters] Weekend $235K, Average $1,472, Cume $5.07M
6. Hysteria (Sony Pictures Classics) Week 6 [136 Theaters] Weekend $152K, Average $1,122, Cume $1.389M
7. Peace, Love & Misunderstanding (IFC Films) Week 3 [64 Theaters] Weekend $89K, Average $1,400, Cume $450K
8. Lola Versus (Fox Searchlight) Week 3 [50 Theaters] Weekend $46K, Average $928, Cume $203K
9. Dark Horse (Vitagraph Films) Week 3 [6 Theaters] Weekend $11,600, Average $1,933, Cume $49K
10. Crooked Arrows (Branded/Peck Entertainment) Week 6 [25 Theaters] Weekend $7,525, Average $301, Cume $1.77M