Susan Sarandon is set to star in Ping-Pong Summer and will begin shooting the film in September in Ocean City, Md. Michael Tully is directing from his own script. Set in the summer of 1985, the coming-of-age film centers on a teenage boy obsessed with the game and hip-hop and a family vacation that changes everything. Sarandon’s involvement is a logical extension of her publicized love of the game: The Oscar-winning actress started a Ping-Pong program for New York City students, SPiN, bringing the game to schools across the five boroughs. She recently told Forbes that she plans to franchise the program to other cities like L.A. The film’s producers include Steve Bannatyne, Derrick Tseng, and entertainment attorneys Steven C. Beer and George Rush; Nomadic Independence duo Ryan Zacarias and Brooke Bernard, who worked with Tully on his previous film, Septien; and Court 13’s Michael Gottwald. The film is seeking additional financing. Sarandon is repped by ICM.
Susan Sarandon Plays ‘Ping-Pong Summer’
What's Hot on Deadline
MSNBC's Joe Scarborough Bashes Fox News: "What Are YOU Going To Do Today To Help Us Find Those Children?!"
As More Showrunners Speak Up Against Fox News, 20th TV Faces A Short-Term Problem, FBC - A Long-Term One
Sony Pictures Classics Calls Peter Fonda Tweet "Abhorrent" But Will Open 'Boundaries' As Scheduled - Update
'The ABC Murders': First-Look At John Malkovich As Hercule Poirot As BBC/Amazon Drama Rounds Out Cast
Latest Film News
- AT&T To Launch Its WatchTV ‘Skinny Bundle’ Video Streaming Service
- ‘Hurricane Heist’ Producers Moshe Diamant & Christopher Milburn Team With Superkombat CEO On Action Label
- ‘Dead In A Week’: First Trailer & Key Deals For Comedy Starring Aneurin Barnard, Tom Wilkinson…
- Gal Gadot and 'Wonder Woman 1984' Planned As Warner's Big Comic-Con Surprise
- Wall Street Betting On Comcast To Counter Disney’s Offer For Fox
- Universal Bringing The Thrills To Comic-Con With ‘Glass’ & ‘Halloween’