Shares are up slightly in post-market trading after Disney delivered an earnings report with a little of something for everybody. The company generated net income of $1.22B, up 21.3% vs the period last year, on revenues of $9.62B, up 6.1%. The revenue figure was ahead of analyst expectations for $9.56B. Earnings per share, at 58 cents after excluding one-time items from last year, beat forecasts for 55 cents. Growing pay TV fees and ad sales at ESPN helped to drive a 9% increase in revenues at the Media Networks unit, to $4.69B, with operating income up 13% to $1.72B. Per usual, the cable networks stole the show (revenues +12% to $3.17B, and operating income +11% to $1.5B). But the broadcasting side, which includes ABC, benefited from lower programming and production costs (revenues +2% to $1.52B, and operating income +37% to $229M). Consumer spending increased at Disney’s Parks and Resorts, sending revenues +10% to $2.9B with operating income +53% to $222M. The Studio Entertainment unit suffered from the disappointing performance of, and announced write-down for, John Carter. That sent revenues -12% to $1.18B with an operating loss of $84M vs. a profit last year of $77M. The Consumer Products division had a complicated story, with licensing revenues offsetting a decline in retail sales; it ended up with revenues +8% to $679M and operating income +4% to $679M. Finally, Interactive Media saw a revenue gain of 13% to $179M while cost cuts contributed to a 39% decline in the operating loss to $70M. “We’re incredibly optimistic about our future, given the strength of our core brands,” CEO Bob Iger says. He also noted that The Avengers has “shattered box office records” with its $207.1M in domestic sales this past weekend and $702M global sales to date.
Disney Tops Fiscal Q2 Earnings Estimates With Boosts From Cable And Theme Parks
What's Hot on Deadline
Seth MacFarlane Tweets He Is "Embarrassed" To Work For Fox After Tucker Carlson Tells Viewers To Ignore Other News Sources
'Incredibles 2' Record $180M Beats 'Captain America: Civil War' Opening & Lifetime Totals Of 'Cars 3', 'A Bug's Life'
Latest Film News
- ‘Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom’ Rises To $370M Overseas; ‘Incredibles 2’ Powers $52M Early Bow – International…
- The Week In Deadline Videos & Podcasts: Jason Bateman, Jonathan Tucker, And The ‘Queen Sugar’ Cast
- Hollywood Father’s Day Celebrated With Online Celebrity Salutes To Dear Ol’ Dad
- Director James L. Brooks Tweets That “Nursing Babies” Are Being Pulled From Mothers At Border
- 'Eating Animals' Dishes Up Solid Bow; 'Won't You Be My Neighbor?' Expands Strongly; 'RBG' Hits $10M: Specialty Box Office
- ‘Incredibles 2’ Record $180M Beats ‘Captain America: Civil War’ Opening & Lifetime Totals Of ‘Cars 3’, ‘A Bug’s Life…