Richard Horton, a detective who formerly penned an anonymous police blog, filed suit on April 11 in London against Times Newspapers Ltd, a unit of News Corp’s News International, Bloomberg reports. Horton was exposed by The Times as the author of the blog back in 2009. At the time, he sued to block publication of his name, but lost when the newspaper aruged his identity was in the public interest. Earlier this year, Times editor James Harding acknowledged to the Leveson Inquiry into UK media ethics that the paper had misled the judge in Horton’s case and that a reporter had been given a formal warning after accessing the emails without authorization. He later said, “I sorely regret the intrusion into Richard Horton’s email account by a journalist in our newsroom. On behalf of the newspaper, I apologize.” Horton’s suit against The Times, which has largely avoided the phone hacking and bribery scandals at News International’s The Sun and the now-shuttered News Of The World, seeks “substantial” damages. The new suit comes as British attorney Mark Lewis arrives in the US to begin legal discussions that could lead to several lawsuits being filed over alleged phone hacking by News International employees. Those cases are understood to relate primarily to celebrities whose phones may have been hacked while they were visiting the US.
Police Detective Sues News Corp.'s Times Newspaper Over Email Hacking: Report
What's Hot on Deadline
MSNBC's Joe Scarborough Bashes Fox News: "What Are YOU Going To Do Today To Help Us Find Those Children?!"
Latest International News
- Donald Trump Tells Media Who Melania’s Mean Jacket Message Targeted: Them
- Kevin Costner Talks ‘Yellowstone’, Varied Roles & A Venice ‘Fandango’ Lesson – Cannes Lions
- John Oliver Censored In China After Scathing Winnie The Pooh Segment
- Lena Waithe On Mentoring, Accountability & The Next Frontier – Cannes Lions
- World Cup: Female Reporter Groped On Air; Burger King Apologizes For Pregnancy Ad; Iran Opens Stadium To Women
- MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough Bashes Fox News: “What Are YOU Going To Do Today To Help Us Find Those Children?!”