Director James Cameron, who just made history piloting a submersible 7 miles below the surface of the Pacific in the Mariana Trench, appears to have his sights on the opposite direction with investors who include Google cofounder Larry Page and its former CEO Eric Schmidt, former Microsoft executive (and space philanthropist) Charles Simonyi and Ross Perot Jr., son of the former presidential candidate. The venture known as Planetary Sources is scheduled to be announced Tuesday in Seattle. Information about the impending announcement was posted today on MIT’s Technology Review. The release says “the company will overlay two critical sectors — space exploration and natural resources — to add trillions of dollars to the global GDP. This innovative start-up will create a new industry and a new definition of ‘natural resources’.” The MIT blog suggests the venture “sounds like asteroid mining. Because what else is there in space that we need here on earth? Certainly not a livable climate or a replacement for our dwindling supplies of oil.” The press conference will take place at the Museum of Flight in Seattle on Tuesday, April 24 at 10:30 a.m. PDT and will be available via webcast.
Is James Cameron Investing In Asteroid Mining Project?
What's Hot on Deadline
Is The Man In Black A Human Or Host? 'Westworld' Co-Creator Lisa Joy On Season 2 Finale & What's Next
John Oliver Blasts Cable News Coverage Of Donald Trump's "Children In Cages" Immigration Strategy And Walk Back
Jimmy Fallon Gives Rare Slap Back At Donald Trump Over "Be A Man" Slag; Host Donates To TV Scribes' Stop Border Separation Campaign - UPDATE
'Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom' Slurps $711M+ WW; 'Incredibles 2' Has Record Pixar China Bow - International Box Office
'The Equalizer 2' Trailer: Denzel Washington Is The Deadliest Lyft Driver Seeking Revenge In Sony Sequel
Latest Film News
- BET Awards: ‘Black Panther’, Tiffany Haddish, Chadwick Boseman Take Top Honors – Full Winners List
- ‘The Hate U Give’ Trailer: Amandla Stenberg Finds Empowering Voice In Adaptation Of Angie Thomas Novel
- ‘The Equalizer 2’ Trailer: Denzel Washington Is The Deadliest Lyft Driver Seeking Revenge In Sony Sequel
- ‘Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom’ Slurps $711M+ WW; ‘Incredibles 2’ Has Record Pixar China Bow – International…
- A Caution For Politically Inflamed Hollywood: Revolutions Eat Their Own
- ‘The King' Reigns Over Mixed Weekend of Openers; 'Won't You Be My Neighbor?' Expands Robustly: Specialty Box Office