Hedge fund Third Point, which owns 5.8% of Yahoo’s shares, chided CEO Scott Thompson for failing to lay out his strategic plan before he fired about 2,000 employees today. The fund, run by Daniel Loeb, says the fifth major cutback in the last five years was “unfortunately necessary.” But it notes that Yahoo’s board said in September that it planned a “comprehensive strategic review,” while Thompson said in January that he had “some very clear ideas about the specifics of what we’ll do.” To date, though, “shareholders and remaining employees have heard few such specifics.” Meanwhile, many of the company’s “senior-level employees and investors have apparently seen enough and heard too little, and have independently staged an exodus, weighing on the company’s share price.” Loeb says this is a reason for shareholders to support his slate of four directors which, in addition to himself, include corporate restructuring expert Harry Wilson, media consultant Michael Wolf, and former NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Zucker. Yahoo shares were up 0.6% on a day when the overall market was down.
Dissident Yahoo Shareholders Ask: What's The Plan Behind Today's Layoffs?
What's Hot on Deadline
John Oliver Blasts Donald Trump Administration For Taking Children From Parents As Immigration Strategy
'The Sopranos' Vincent Pastore & Steven Van Zandt & 'Mindhunter’s Holt McCallany Star In Dark Mob Comedy
'Incredibles 2' Record $183M Beats 'Captain America: Civil War' Opening & Lifetime Totals Of 'Cars 3', 'A Bug's Life'
Latest Film News
- Amblin, Sam Mendes Set WWI Drama ‘1917’ As His First Directing Effort Since James Bond Pics ‘Spectre’ & ‘Skyfall…
- L.A. Memorial Service Set For Film Sales Vet Robbie Little
- Mandalay Sports Media/IMG Bring UFC Founding Father Rorion Gracie’s Story To Screen
- ‘Incredibles 2’ Record $183M Beats ‘Captain America: Civil War’ Opening & Lifetime Totals Of ‘Cars 3’, ‘A Bug’s Life…
- ‘Like Father’ Trailer: Kelsey Grammer, Kristen Bell & Seth Rogen Are On A Boat In Netflix Comedy
- Tom Hollander Joins ‘Baptiste’, Angelina Jolie-Execed ‘The Breadwinner’ Wins At Annecy, UK Fund — Global…