That would seem to be the case according to a survey from Best Buy, landed by the website The Verge, on a day that’s been filled with Apple TV speculation. The site says that Best Buy offered survey participants an opportunity to “be one of the first” to get a 42-inch Apple HDTV for $1,499. It would include Web download features from the Apple TV set top box, iCloud storage, the ability to use an iPad or iPhone as a remote control, an iSight camera and microphone that can be used for Skype calls, and access to streaming video from Netflix, YouTube, and flickr. The come-on says that Apple “finally reinvents what a TV can do.” Meanwhile, Jefferies & Co analyst Peter Misek served up an in-depth look at what he thinks an Apple iTV might do based on “our checks and an analysis of Apple’s patents.” He says there’s just a “remote” possibility that Apple would try to land exclusive content right away to challenge pay TV. Studios and networks wouldn’t be interested just yet and “at least initially, we believe Apple needs the support” of cable operators — who also are the leading providers of broadband. But that would change at some point because “one large content company will break first to gain an advantage in working with Apple.” Over time, Misek says, “we see Apple as being very creative and diligent in how it will acquire the content necessary to drive its ecosystem to the next level.” Some of it will come from users themselves — for example video phone calls, or the kinds of clips that often appear on YouTube. But Apple will also hunt for exclusive deals, possibly for sports, and licensing of non-exclusive rights to movies and TV shows that also appear on Netflixand Amazon. “One of Apple’s competitive advantages is that it has a knack for turning complex technological endeavors into a simple, delightful experience,” Misek says.
Will The First Apple TV Have a 42-Inch Screen And Cost $1,499?
What's Hot on Deadline
Wilmer Valderrama Signs On To Return To 'NCIS', Enters First-Look Deal With CBS TV Studios Focused On Diversity
Latest Film News
- 20th Century Fox Sets Dates For Untitled James Mangold Ferrari Project, Kenneth Branagh’s ‘Death On The Nile…
- ‘Child’s Play’ Series May Be Headed To TV After Creator Twitter Tease
- Johnny Depp Loses Bid To Delay $25M Fraud Trial On Heels Of Train Wreck Rolling Stone Profile
- ‘Scorpion’ Actress Jadyn Wong Joins ‘Needle In A Timestack’; Raymond J. Barry Cast In ‘Made In Chinatown…
- Peter Bart: New Irish Mind-Set Triggers Upswing In Dublin Economy, And Revolution In Its Pop Culture
- Netflix Fired Comms Chief Jonathan Friedland Over His Use Of The N-Word