The high-profile documentary directed by Oscar-nominated filmmaker Amy Berg (Deliver Us From Evil) debuted at the recent Sundance Film Festival. Fran Walsh and Peter Jackson produced the film with first-time producers Damien Echols (a subject of the film) and Lorri Davis. West Of Memphis centers on the new investigation surrounding the the 1993 murders of three 8-year-old boys in the town of West Memphis, Ark., that ultimately broke the case open and led to the release of the so-called West Memphis 3 — Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley Jr. The film examines the flawed police investigation and reveals personal insight into Echols’ fight to save his own life from Death Row. SPC negotiated the deal with Jackson and Walsh’s manager, Ken Kamins, who also serves as the film’s executive producer. Sony Pictures Classics has previously worked with Kamins on John Boorman’s The General.
Sony Classics Takes Worldwide Rights to 'West Of Memphis'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- R. Kelly Indicted On 10 Felony Counts Of Aggravated Sexual Abuse With Minors
- Notes On The Season: New Jersey Bookies Betting On Oscar; ‘Roma’ Stars Bid Farewell To The Circuit; Tarantino Saves Film…
- Brody Stevens Dies: Stand-Up Comedian And Film/TV Actor Was 48
- Oscars Pregame Warmup: Watch Deadline’s Reviews Of All Eight Best Picture Nominees
- Oscars Ratings Drop Sees ABC Offering Advertisers Guarantees For First Time
- ‘Crazy Rich Asians’, ‘Late Show’ Teams Win At Publicists Guild Awards