There’s another reason Roman Polanski has returned to the Zurich Film Festival, where he was arrested two years ago by authorities who tried unsuccessfully to bring him back to the U.S. to face a 1977 statutory rape charge. After the festival bestowed its lifetime achievement award on the Oscar-winning director Tuesday night, it offered up the surprise world premiere of the documentary Roman Polanski: A Film Memoir, in which Polanski talks to friend and producer Andrew Braunsberg about his career, the murder of his wife Sharon Tate and his recent arrest. Laurent Bouzereau directed the feature-length docu. It was at the 2009 Swiss festival, where Polanski was originally to to receive the lifetime honor, that he was arrested — he never made it to the fest, getting stopped at the airport. He served time in jail and was under house arrest until he successfully fought off extradition to the U.S., making today’s return trip possible. (UPDATE: Polanski thanked the crowd after accepting his award Tuesday night: “Better late than never,” he said in his speech, according to Reuters. “It’s a strange anniversary for me, two years, day for day. … Certain parts of it I’d rather forget, but I’m happy to be here. It is a very moving moment for me so do not expect any speeches.”)
'Roman Polanski: A Film Memoir' Is Surprise Addition To Zurich Film Festival
What's Hot on Deadline
Bryan Singer Responds To Atlantic Report: "Homophobic Smear Piece Timed To Take Advantage Of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' Success"
Oscar Nominations: 'Roma' And 'The Favourite' Lead With 10 Each; 'Black Panther' Among Best Pic Noms
'A Star Is Born's Sam Elliott Gets First Oscar Nomination In 50-Year Career, Jokes "It's About [Bleeping] Time"
Latest Awardsline News
- SAG Awards Reveals First List Of Presenters: The Stars Of The Films Up For Best Ensemble Cast
- César Nominations: Jacques Audiard’s ‘Sisters Brothers’ Rustles Up Nine – List
- Viggo Mortensen Reflects On The Twists & Turns Of His ‘Green Book’ Journey As He Preps His Directorial Debut
- Oscar Nominee Reactions: Rami Malek, Willem Dafoe, Rachel Weisz, Adam McKay & Many More
- Costume Designer Sandy Powell’s Risk-Taking Pays Off With Pair Of Oscar Nominations For ‘The Favourite’ & ‘Mary Poppins Returns…
- ‘RBG’ Oscar Nomination Tops One Wild Year For Ruth Bader Ginsburg