The writing had been on the wall for George Lopez’s late-night show on TBS. There was speculation that the network was planning to cancel the show last year, but Conan O’Brien insisted on Lopez sticking around so he is not perceived as the guy who pushed Lopez out. Lopez Tonight got a stay of execution, but now the show, originally developed by Telepictures as a syndicated talk show, will end its two-season run tomorrow night. Lopez Tonight has not been doing well in the ratings, especially after moving to midnight last fall to accommodate Conan, recently averaging 400,000 viewers and a 0.2 18-49 rating for original episodes. There have been rumors that TBS had tried to make the show broader and less ethnic. For one reason or another, both late-night shows with minority hosts, Lopez Tonight and BET’s The Mo’Nique Show, bit the dust within the past two weeks. Here is the official statement from TBS: “TBS has reached the difficult decision not to order a third season of Lopez Tonight. Thursday will be the final episode of the show. We are proud to have partnered with George Lopez, who is an immensely talented comedian and entertainer. TBS has valued its partnership with George and appreciates all of his work on behalf of the network, both on and off the air.”
TBS Cancels 'Lopez Tonight'
What's Hot on Deadline
Seth MacFarlane Tweets He Is "Embarrassed" To Work For Fox After Tucker Carlson Tells Viewers To Ignore Other News Sources
'Incredibles 2' Record $180M Beats 'Captain America: Civil War' Opening & Lifetime Totals Of 'Cars 3', 'A Bug's Life'
Donald Trump Responds To Washington Post Staff's Open Letter To Jeff Bezos, Says Strike "Would Be A Great Idea"
Latest TV News
- FIFA World Cup: Fox Sports Sets Record With Argentina-Iceland Match; Telemundo Scores Big With First Presentation
- Fox Sports, USGA Apologize For Graphic Language Inadvertently Broadcast
- Mexico Beats Germany 1-0 In World Cup, Avenges News Outlet’s Insult
- The Week In Deadline Videos & Podcasts: Jason Bateman, Jonathan Tucker, And The ‘Queen Sugar’ Cast
- Hollywood Father’s Day Celebrated With Online Celebrity Salutes To Dear Ol’ Dad
- Director James L. Brooks Tweets That “Nursing Babies” Are Being Pulled From Mothers At Border