For the second time in the past couple of months, President Barack Obama interrupted broadcast networks’ Sunday programming for an unscheduled primetime address. In May, it was about the killing of Osama bin Laden; last night, it was to announce that a debt deal has finally been reached. ABC, CBS and NBC all cut away from their regular programming for about six minutes between 8:40-8:50 PM ET to carry Obama’s speech, but the interruption is not expected to have a major effect on the primetime ratings for last night. CBS (1.6/5 among adults 18-49, 6.6 million viewers in the preliminary, not time zone-adjusted ratings) topped the night in both 18-49 and total viewers, paced by Big Brother (2.8/9 from 8-9 PM, including Obama’s address on the East Coast). That was up 12% from last week. From 9-10 PM, the conclusion of Big Brother and Same Name averaged a 1.4/4, down 7% from Same Name‘s rating last week. ABC’s The Bachelorette: Men Tell All special drew 1.6/4, down 45% vs. its last installment last year, which aired on Monday. NBC’s The Marriage Ref (0.9/2) was down 10%.
RATINGS RAT RACE: CBS Wins With Rising 'Big Brother'
What's Hot on Deadline
MSNBC's Joe Scarborough Bashes Fox News: "What Are YOU Going To Do Today To Help Us Find Those Children?!"
As More Showrunners Speak Up Against Fox News, 20th TV Faces A Short-Term Problem, FBC - A Long-Term One
Sony Pictures Classics Calls Peter Fonda Tweet "Abhorrent" But Will Open 'Boundaries' As Scheduled - Update
'The ABC Murders': First-Look At John Malkovich As Hercule Poirot As BBC/Amazon Drama Rounds Out Cast
Latest TV News
- Sandra Oh On Obsession And Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s ‘Killing Eve’
- Stephen Colbert: Corey Lewandowski Hung Out To Dry By Donald Trump’s “Sudden Ethical Back-Peddle”
- MTV Launches MTV Studios With ‘Daria’, ‘Made’, ‘Real World’ & ‘Aeon Flux…
- Apple Orders Short-Form Series ‘Calls’ From Canal+ As First Int’l Co-Production
- AT&T To Launch Its WatchTV ‘Skinny Bundle’ Video Streaming Service
- MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough Bashes Fox News: “What Are YOU Going To Do Today To Help Us Find Those Children?!”