EXCLUSIVE: THURSDAY 11 PM: I’ve learned that on Friday Academy Award-winning film director Peter Jackson and his partner and producer Fran Walsh will reveal their longtime behind-the-scenes support of the ‘West Memphis 3″ after a court hearing that may free the imprisoned trio. The Lord Of The Rings trilogy helmer with Walsh have “played a leading role” financially and legally behind seven years of efforts to get justice for Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin, and Jessie Misskelley Jr. The filmmaking pair have funded key investigative efforts on behalf of the defense’s day-to-day efforts to prove the three men were wrongfully convicted and imprisoned on charges they brutally murdered three 8-year old boys in 1993. This has included financing extensive private investigators over a number of years and the uncovering of crucial new DNA evidence. Jackson and Walsh also have been instrumental in hiring some of the country’s leading forensic experts to reevaluate the case and uncover new witnesses, all of which contributed to the Arkansas Supreme Court’s decision to reopen the case. The first two HBO documentaries that Berlinger and Sinofsky made on the case stirred international outrage over what many including Johnny Depp, Pearl Jam’s Eddie Vedder, and Dixie Chicks’ Natalie Maines felt was a miscarriage of justice and a conviction on flimsy evidence. The directors Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky are taking their third documentary Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory on the “West Memphis 3” to premieres at the Toronto and New York Film Festivals. PREVIOUS: As ‘West Memphis 3’ Eye Freedom Friday, Toronto-Bound Docu To Change Ending.
UPDATE: Peter Jackson & Fran Walsh Financed Legal Support To Free 'West Memphis 3' Inmates
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindelwald' Takes $253M WW Bow; 'Venom' Voracious In China Milestones - International Box Office
First Lady Of The United States Drama Produced By Michael Weatherly & Eric Christian Olsen In Works At CBS
'Crimes Of Grindelwald' Falls Short Stateside With $62M+ Debut, WB Celebrates Global Win As 'Fantastic Beasts' Series Hits $1B-Plus
'Vice' Enters The Oscar Race, Wins Praise For Christian Bale's Dick Cheney, Amy Adams And Adam McKay At Early Screening
'Last Man Standing', 'Blue Bloods' Lead Friday Ratings; ABC Duo & 'Midnight, Texas' Hit Season Highs
Latest Film News
- ‘Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindelwald’ Takes $253M WW Bow; ‘Venom’ Voracious In China Milestones – International…
- 'At Eternity's Gate' Paints Solid Start; 'Can You Ever Forgive Me' Crosses $5M: Specialty Box Office
- Constance Wu: 'Crazy Rich Asians' Sequel Must Wait; She’s Not Yet Attached To Jennifer Lopez Film
- Lana Condor On Possible 'To All The Boys I've Loved Before' Sequel: “The Whole Cast Would Love To Do It"
- ‘Vice’ Enters The Oscar Race, Wins Praise For Christian Bale’s Dick Cheney, Amy Adams And Adam McKay At…
- Disney Unveils ‘Galaxy’s Edge’ Teasers, Including New John Williams Music, Ride Previews