A Philadelphia Inquirer report recounts how the Comcast team locked in on FCC Democrat Mignon Clyburn, who joined the commission in 2009 and who was one of the five who eventually decided if Comcast should get NBC Universal. Comcast strategists studied the members of the FCC and came to the conclusion that Clyburn would be a key deciding vote. So in a textbook case of lobbying, they set out to woo her by making constant and repetetive hard promises that the newly-formed media conglomerate would be a kind-and-gentle corporation. It worked, and she cast a ‘yes’ vote. As it was, the final vote was 4-1 in favor of the marriage.
How Comcast Zeroed In On FCC's Mignon Clyburn To Seal NBCU Deal
What's Hot on Deadline
Imagine Sets Lin-Manuel Miranda's Helming Debut: 'Rent' Creator Jonathan Larson's 'Tick, Tick...Boom!'; 'Evan Hansen's Steven Levenson Scripting
'Code Black': Creator Michael Seitzman On Emotional Series Finale, His Idea For Season 4 & Hopes For Finding New Home
Disney-Fox: Post-Merger Executive Speculation Heats Up With Focus On Peter Rice & Dana Walden As Comcast Exits
Latest Film News
- As Comcast Looks To Sky, Will Disney Keep Up The Fight?
- Akiva Goldsman Returns To CAA
- Screen Gems Nabs ‘Superfecundation’ Script From Savion Einstein
- Daveed Diggs, Rafael Casal Go 'Blindspotting'; Bleecker Street Opens 'McQueen' – Specialty B.O. Preview
- ‘Miles Davis: Birth Of The Cool’ Doc Tunes Up From Eagle Rock Entertainment & American Masters
- Makeready Sets ‘Queen & Slim’; Daniel Kaluuya Stars, Melina Matsoukas Directs Lena Waithe Script