Airing against an all Christmas special-competition on the Big 3 networks, Fox’s Glee (4.5/12, 11.6 million) bounced back from last week’s season low, up 13% in the demo, and reclaimed its title as the highest-rated program on Tuesday night among adults 18-49. The rising tide lifted all the ships on the network, with freshman comedy Raising Hope (2.7/7) up 8% from last week and Running Wilde (1.4/4), which won’t be getting a back order, up 8% from its last original on Nov. 9. Both Glee and Raising Hope posted all-time highs in teens.
The Christmas special race at 8 PM was won by CBS’ Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (3.8/11, 12.0 million), which was flat with last year in 18-49, up 13% in total viewers and up 12% in teens. ABC was second with Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2.1/6) and Shrek the Halls (2.4/6) but both specials were sharply down from last year, by 25% and 17%, respectively. NBC’s Christmas in Rockefeller Center (1.9/5, 11.3 million) was up a tenth in 18-49 and 30% in total viewers for its largest audience in 7 years.
NBC’s The Biggest Loser (2.9/8, 8.3 million) benefited from the time shift to 9-11 PM, tying its season high in 18-49 posted by the season premiere and hitting a new high in total viewers. ABC’s freshman drama No Ordinary Family (1.9/5) logged a more modest demo gain of one tenth in its move from 8 PM to its temporary new 9 PM slot. With No Ordinary Family as a lead-in, freshman ABC drama Detroit 1-8-7 (1.6/4) was down a tenth to a series low from its last original 2 weeks ago which aired after the Dancing with the Stars result show.
CBS aired an NCIS rerun (3.0.8, 15.1 million) at 9 PM, which proved its mettle by winning its time period in 18-49 and total viewers and ranking as the most watched program of the night. At 10 PM, The Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show (3.4/9, 9 million) also won its time period and was up 17% in the demo and 13% in viewers from last year’s telecast to draw the special’s largest audience in 7 years.
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.