Elaine Kaufman has died at age 81 today of complications from emphysema. Kaufman’s upper East Side eatery Elaine’s was the toast of Manhattan for decades, a watering hole where Gotham filmmakers, pols and journalists mixed it up every night. Kaufman, whom I remember from my days at New York Newsday as a kind heart behind a tough exterior, was also a fixture at the Deauville Film Festival until about five years ago. There, she kept up on films and gossip in equal measure. She was truly a New York institution.
R.I.P. Elaine Kaufman
What's Hot on Deadline
Oscar Nominations: 'Roma' And 'The Favourite' Lead With 10 Each; 'Black Panther' Among Best Pic Noms
'A Star Is Born's Sam Elliott Gets First Oscar Nomination In 50-Year Career, Jokes "It's About [Bleeping] Time"
Oscars' Big Snubs: Bradley Cooper & Ryan Coogler For Director, Mr. Rogers Docu, Emily Blunt Get Cold Shoulder
Latest Film News
- Viggo Mortensen Reflects On The Twists & Turns Of His ‘Green Book’ Journey As He Preps His Directorial Debut
- David Glasser Launches 101 Studios With $300M+ In Funding For TV, Movie Projects
- Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige: ‘Black Panther’ Oscar Nom Fits Into A Heroic History
- Oscar Nominee Reactions: Rami Malek, Willem Dafoe, Rachel Weisz, Adam McKay & Many More
- Costume Designer Sandy Powell’s Risk-Taking Pays Off With Pair Of Oscar Nominations For ‘The Favourite’ & ‘Mary Poppins Returns…
- ‘Sopranos’ Prequel Film Finds Young Tony: Michael Gandolfini Is Chip Off Old Block