EXCLUSIVE: We’ve learned that Avatar producers James Cameron and Jon Landau presented 11 principal cast members of the mega-blockbuster film with gifts in the past few days: a blue Toyota Prius for each. But no word on whether any crew were included. A committed environmentalist, Cameron said back in September that Avatar did as well as it did at the box office because of people’s longing for a greater connection to nature, and mentioned the Prius: “My optimistic side says that Avatar did as well as it did for that reason, that there’s a time for a change, for a recognition that we have to answer for the way that we’ve been and remember our respect for nature. We have to find a better way than the way we live today. It’s not that the movie converted people — it resonated with something that was already there, to find something inside for people and gave people a way to think about this. And if that manifests in people cutting down on their energy usage or recycle or buy a Prius…,” he told Time magazine. The challenge for me is to try to help people figure out what to do with that feeling that they’re feeling. I do think that part of my job — to show them what to do.” Hollywood has a long history of bestowing cars on cast members associated with hit movies. Adam Sandler who was both the producer and star of this year’s successful summer comedy Grown-Ups gifted his principal cast members with a new Maserati in the driveway. Chris Rock, David Spade, Rob Schneider, and Kevin James all received the $200K superluxe Italian car which are well-known gas-guzzlers. Of course, Grown-Ups did $271M at the worldwide box office, while Avatar did $2.7 billion at the worldwide box office. But a top-of-the-line gas-saving Prius costs $30K.
'Avatar' Producers Gift Cast With Blue Prius (But Not Crew?)
What's Hot on Deadline
Batwoman TV Series In Works At the CW With Groundbreaking Lesbian Superhero Lead From Caroline Dries & Greg Berlanti
Hollywood & Beltway On Summit: Schwarzenegger Calls Donald Trump "Little Wet Noodle, Little Fan Boy" - Update
Latest Film News
- Sony Pictures Hires Ellene V. Miles As Senior VP Intersectional Marketing
- “Lawnmower Man” Director Brett Leonard Shooting Scripted VR Series “Hollywood Rooftop”
- Cinthya Carmona Joins ‘The Tax Collector’; Cathy Shim Cast In ‘The Sun Is Also A Star’; Jake Allyn In ‘Kill Me Twice…
- Netflix Terminates Contract With The Weinstein Co.
- LA Film Festival Moves Into New Oscar-Season Berth With Diverse Programs, Partnerships
- Kate Winslet, Diane Keaton & Mia Wasikowska To Star In ‘Silent Heart’ Remake ‘Blackbird’, With Roger…