EXCLUSIVE: We’ve learned that Avatar producers James Cameron and Jon Landau presented 11 principal cast members of the mega-blockbuster film with gifts in the past few days: a blue Toyota Prius for each. But no word on whether any crew were included. A committed environmentalist, Cameron said back in September that Avatar did as well as it did at the box office because of people’s longing for a greater connection to nature, and mentioned the Prius: “My optimistic side says that Avatar did as well as it did for that reason, that there’s a time for a change, for a recognition that we have to answer for the way that we’ve been and remember our respect for nature. We have to find a better way than the way we live today. It’s not that the movie converted people — it resonated with something that was already there, to find something inside for people and gave people a way to think about this. And if that manifests in people cutting down on their energy usage or recycle or buy a Prius…,” he told Time magazine. The challenge for me is to try to help people figure out what to do with that feeling that they’re feeling. I do think that part of my job — to show them what to do.” Hollywood has a long history of bestowing cars on cast members associated with hit movies. Adam Sandler who was both the producer and star of this year’s successful summer comedy Grown-Ups gifted his principal cast members with a new Maserati in the driveway. Chris Rock, David Spade, Rob Schneider, and Kevin James all received the $200K superluxe Italian car which are well-known gas-guzzlers. Of course, Grown-Ups did $271M at the worldwide box office, while Avatar did $2.7 billion at the worldwide box office. But a top-of-the-line gas-saving Prius costs $30K.
'Avatar' Producers Gift Cast With Blue Prius (But Not Crew?)
What's Hot on Deadline
'Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom' Slurps $711M+ WW; 'Incredibles 2' Has Record Pixar China Bow - International Box Office
Latest Film News
- A Caution For Politically Inflamed Hollywood: Revolutions Eat Their Own
- ‘The King' Reigns Over Mixed Weekend of Openers; 'Won't You Be My Neighbor?' Expands Robustly: Specialty Box Office
- David Lynch: Trump Could Be “One Of The Greatest Presidents In History”
- ‘Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom’ Slurps $711M+ WW; ‘Incredibles 2’ Has Record Pixar China Bow – International…
- ‘Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom’ With $150M Reps Uni’s 2nd Highest Opening Ever – Sunday
- Did Tom Holland Reveal The Title Of The ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ Sequel?