Carl Icahn is now offering 50 cents on the dollar for MGM debt in an attempt to bolster his position before creditors vote Friday on a reorganization plan that puts Spyglass partners Roger Birnbaum and Gary Barber in the driver’s seat of the debt-hobbled studio. Icahn had previously been offering 45 cents on the dollar for debt, and the new offer comes with the stipulation that debt holders vote against the Spyglass offer. Lionsgate brass recently came out with an impassioned speech on why a Lionsgate-Icahn deal was better for creditors than the Spyglass plan which is half a year in the making. Considering how bitter the battle has been between Icahn and Lionsgate brass as he’s tried to take over the minimajor, doesn’t it sound like that couple you know, the one that is fighting constantly and decides that if they just went ahead and had a baby, everything would be perfect? MGM, which watched Mary Parent exit as its pic chief after she was stymied in her efforts to create a production slate for the Lion, needs a steady hand and many feel that the Spyglass guys would provide it. The prepackaged bankruptcy with Birnbaum and Barber has never been viewed as a permanent solution. It has always been viewed by insiders as “kicking the can down the road.” Bolder plays with an outside suitor like Lionsgate is necessary later on, but it doesn’t necessarily have to happen by Friday.
Carl Icahn and Lionsgate Redouble Efforts To Buy Up MGM Debt To Thwart Spyglass
What's Hot on Deadline
'Incredibles 2' Record $183M Beats 'Captain America: Civil War' Opening & Lifetime Totals Of 'Cars 3', 'A Bug's Life'
'The Sopranos' Vincent Pastore & Steven Van Zandt & 'Mindhunter’s Holt McCallany Star In Dark Mob Comedy
Latest TV News
- ‘Saved By The Bell’ Pop-Up Changes The Game When It Comes To Authorized Fan-Driven Experiences
- Judd Apatow Urges Fox Showrunners & Talent To Speak Out Over Fox News’ Child Detention Coverage
- DHS Secy Nielsen Insists “We Are Country Of Compassion” As She Touts Trump’s Child Snatching Immigration Policy
- ‘This Is Us’ Taps ‘The Things They Carried’ Author Tim O’Brien As Consultant For Season 3
- Gareth Emery To Topline ‘We Are CVNT5’ Electronic Dance Music Mockumentary Series On Verizon’s go90
- Marvel’s ‘Iron Fist’ Set To Hit Comic-Con; No Show For ‘Captain Marvel’ & Film Side