EXCLUSIVE: Fans of this sitcom about the life of an inner city priest even include Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams, spiritual head of the U.S. Episcopal Church, who has called it “really rather good”. This is surprising, given its hot button issues: the ordination of women, openly gay clergy, and a Muslim teacher who uses a church building to teach the Koran. My BBC insider tells me U.S. cable channels are sniffing around a possible American remake. Starring and co-created by Tom Hollander, the 6-part Season One was the highest rated new show on highbrow BBC2 over the summer, scoring 2 million viewers each episode. Filming on the UK comedy’s Season 2 is due to begin next summer for broadcast Fall 2011, a BBC source tells me. Peter Cattaneo, Oscar-nominated director of The Full Monty, will return to helm Season 2 as well. The show is produced by Big Talk, the Brit TV and film producer whose credits include Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World and Hot Fuzz. Kenton Allen and Hannah Pescod will return as producers. Among the show’s fans are ITV television director Peter Fincham who named Rev as his favourite TV show not on his own channel, and UK culture secretary Jeremy Hunt who told BBC2 controller Janice Hadlow that Rev has been his top TV show of the past year. Meanwhile, Hollander has just finished shooting Hanna for Joe Wright with Cate Blanchett.
BBC2 Renews Comedy ‘Rev’ For Season 2
What's Hot on Deadline
John Oliver Blasts Donald Trump Administration For Taking Children From Parents As Immigration Strategy
'The Sopranos' Vincent Pastore & Steven Van Zandt & 'Mindhunter’s Holt McCallany Star In Dark Mob Comedy
'Incredibles 2' Record $183M Beats 'Captain America: Civil War' Opening & Lifetime Totals Of 'Cars 3', 'A Bug's Life'
Latest TV News
- ‘Shades Of Blue’ Ratings Return For Series Low, ABC Tops Night With Game Shows
- Donald Trump Escalates Democrat-Blaming For His Border Baby Snatch Policy
- With 'American Horror Story' & ‘American Animals’, Evan Peters Unpacks The Madness Of Acting And…
- Desus & Mero Set To Headline Showtime Late-Night Talk Show
- ‘The Flash’: Jessica Parker Kennedy Upped To Series Regular For Season 5
- Hulu Orders Femme Fatale Pilot ‘Reprisal’ From Warren Littlefield & A+E Studios