EXCLUSIVE: What does it say about how we value our literary lions now when Jonathan Franzen is the first living author placed on Time magazine’s cover since Stephen King appeared there a decade ago? Now producer Scott Rudin has closed a deal for movie rights to Freedom, the first novel that Jonathan Franzen has published since his National Book Award winner The Corrections nearly 10 years earlier. Farrar, Straus and Giroux doesn’t officially publish the book until August 31. Freedom’s focus is the slowly disintegrating relationship of Patty and Walter Berglund, socially conscious college sweethearts, who lose each other and their own moral compasses over the years to temptations both corporate and carnal. Early reviews say its richly drawn characters compares favorably with The Corrections, which Rudin years back also optioned. Scott hasn’t yet set up Freedom at a studio or assigned a writer to adapt it. But I’m told Franzen’s reps at CAA completed the deal just before the issue of Time hit newsstands today. The venerable newsweekly has put many authors on its cover over the years, including J.D. Salinger, Ernest Hemingway, Tom Wolfe, George Orwell, William Faulkner, Norman Mailer, John Updike, John Irving and Michael Crichton.
Scott Rudin Buys Jonathan Franzen Novel
What's Hot on Deadline
Oscars Last Call: Queen's Brian May & Roger Taylor On Rami Malek's Morph Into Freddie Mercury In 'Bohemian Rhapsody'
'The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel': Star Rachel Brosnahan & Co-Star Tony Shalhoub Nab Big Raises, Alex Borstein Nears New Deal
Latest TV News
- Friday Ratings: Fox’s ‘Proven Innocent’ Starts Soft, But ‘Last Man Standing’ Tops Demos
- Bill Maher Likens Nitpicking Of Oscar Best Picture Field To Undermining Of 2020 Democratic Field: “Let’s Not Eat Our Own”…
- Dave Smith Dies: Walt Disney Archives Founder Was 78
- Christopher Knopf Dies: Former President Of The Writers Guild Of America West Was 91
- Jussie Smollett Assault Suspects Released, “New Evidence” Cited – Update
- CBS Goes With ‘The Price Is Right’ Over Conclusion Of President Trump’s Emergency Speech