The UK newspaper baron is apparently thinking of transforming Five into a UK version of E! Entertainment, the US channel which broadcasts a stream of celebrity news and profiles. Apart from owning the tabloid Daily Express, Richard Desmond also owns weekly OK! — a downmarket version of Spain’s ¡Hola! – which seems to come from a Bizarro alternate universe of celebrities such as former topless model Jordan and various other reality TV stars. The Five deal marks the first time a private individual has ever owned a UK public-service network.
TOLDJA! Desmond Buys Five For $160M
What's Hot on Deadline
Oscar Nominations: 'Roma' And 'The Favourite' Lead With 10 Each; 'Black Panther' Among Best Pic Noms
'A Star Is Born's Sam Elliott Gets First Oscar Nomination In 50-Year Career, Jokes "It's About [Bleeping] Time"
Latest TV News
- Danielle Campbell Inks With ICM
- Kate Winslet, Gavin O’Connor Team For Brad Ingelsby-Written Limited HBO Series ‘Mare Of Easttown’
- ‘Larry Charles’ Dangerous World Of Comedy’ Gets Netflix Premiere Date
- Will Packer Sets Premiere Date For ‘Power Star Live’, The Series About Twitter On Twitter
- Former Lionsgate Film Chief Patrick Wachsberger Sets Up TV Venture With ‘Marseille’ Producer Federation
- Hulu Raising Live TV Price $5, Dropping Cost Of Basic SVOD Service By $2