Spike TV has put in development a slew of scripted and unscripted projects from such producers as Denis Leary, Thom Beers and 3-Ball Prods. The network plans to pick up 3-4 new reality series this year and 1-2 new scripted comedies with the goal is to find a companion for existing comedy series Blue Mountain State. Despite its serious push in scripted, “we’ll always want to have more unscripted programming on because of the economics of it, but we think that there is an opportunity to do comedies for guys,” said Spike TV president Kevin Kay.
On the unscripted side, Spike has ordered pilots for the following projects:
- Weapon X, from Beers, whose Spike series 1000 Ways To Die was recently renewed for 41 more episodes, takes a team of experts led by Navy SEAL veteran Richard “Mack” Machowitz who use the technology of the time to create game-changing weapons in history’s most famous battles, including the Alamo, the Tet Offensive, Gettysburg, Okinawa and more. Eyed as a companion for Spike’s Deadliest Warrior. Beers of Original Prods. is executive producing with Philip Segal.
- On The Rocks, from 3 Ball, is a docu series starring restaurant and bar consultant John Taffer who gives failing restaurants one last chance to succeed. Todd Nelson, JD Roth and Adam Greener are executive producers.
- Alternative History, from Flight 33 Prods., looks at “what if” scenarios from some of history’s most pivotal turning points and presents a completely different version based on science and fact. Jason Sklaver, Louis Tarantino and Douglas Cohen executive producer.
- Phowned! – features gag phone calls to sons, daughters, parents, and friends made by the team of Z-100’s Elvis Duran Morning Show. Atlas Media Corp is producing in association with the Elvis Duran Group, with Bruce David Klein as executive producer.
- Haunted Civilization explores history’s deadliest locations in an attempt unearth information never before discovered. Sean Gallagher and Abby Greensfelder of Half Yard Prods. serve as executive producers.
Scripted comedies in development:
- Rebel League – A comedic look at the launch of a contemporary pro hockey league designed to rival the NHL. Written by Stephen Engel based on Ed Willes’ book The Rebel League. Produced by Denis Leary and Jim Serpico’s Apostle Pictures and Sony TV.
- Fort Bush – About two misfit U.S. Army drill sergeants trying to maintain their hard-partying lifestyle despite the arrival of an uptight new captain with a grudge. Written by Gabe Snyder and Mike Alber.
The projects join recently greenlighted comedy pilots Back Nine and Playing With Guns and presentation Kings By Night.
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.