UPDATED EXCLUSIVE: CBS’s comedy pilot Team Spitz is switching a team member at the last minute. Kurtwood Smith has been cast in the pilot, replacing Bob Odenkirk. Sony TV, which produces the show, will do quick reshoots on the already completed pilot with Smith before submitting it to CBS. I hear the switcheroo was made after Team Spitz, starring Rob Riggle as the bombastic new basketball coach at an upscale private school, tested very well but Odenkirk’s character, the school’s principal written as a complete jerk and a sanctimonious bureaucrat, didn’t do well. The pilot’s producers decided to tweak the character and reached out to Odenkirk. However, he was recovering from surgery and was available for voiceover but couldn’t do reshoots, so the role ended up being recast. Smith will be a guest star in the pilot as he is a regular on another CBS comedy pilot, Hitched. Team Spitz co-star Sarah Chalke also is a guest star as she is in second position to ABC’s comedy pilot Freshman, whose buzz started picking up after the reshoots commissioned by the network as ABC is reportedly happy with the new cut.
Kurtwood Smith In For Bob Odenkirk On The CBS Comedy Pilot 'Team Spitz'
What's Hot on Deadline
Alec Baldwin Asks Whether Donald Trump's 'SNL' Tweet Is "A Threat To My Safety And That Of My Family?"
'Alita' Adds $56M Overseas; 'The Wandering Earth' Becomes #2 Movie Ever In China - International Box Office
Latest TV News
- Taylor Schilling Signs With WME
- Netflix Opens Toronto Production Hub With ‘Guillermo Del Toro Presents Ten After Midnight’ & ‘Let…
- Jussie Smollett Cut From ‘Empire’ Episodes As Attack Probe Continues
- Sky Drama Chief Cameron Roach On Scripted Plans, Development Pipeline & Finding The Next ‘Patrick Melrose’
- Kelli Berglund Joins ‘Animal Kingdom’; C. Thomas Howell Books ‘The Terror’
- Eight Scribes Selected for Disney-ABC Television 2019 Writing Program