A&E has greenlighted a spinoff to its flagship docu series Intervention and a slew of new celebrity-centered reality series with the likes of David Hasselhoff, Bob Saget, Dee Snider and Tony Danza. At the network’s upfront presentation, A&E also unveiled its scripted development slate, which includes four crime drama series and a remake of the movie Coma to be produced by Ridley and Tony Scott’s Scott Free.
A&E’s sister channel Bio also presented its slate of three new series: William Shatner’s Aftermath, about the aftermath of sudden fame bestowed on ordinary people like Jessica Lynch and Mary Kay Letourneau; I Survived… Beyond and Back, a spinoff of I Survived, and My Ghost Story, featuring true supernatural stories.
Here are the A&E highlights:
Newly-ordered unscripted series:
- I’m Heavy – billed as a companion to Intervention, from Tijuana Entertainment/Megalomedia. Features overeating patients undergoing a six-month treatment program. The third eating disorder series announced in the past week, following pickups by E! and OWN network.
- Intervention in Depth: One Man Rehab – Shows what happens in the months after an intervention. From GRB Prods.
- Untitled project starring Hasselhoff as a stage dad trying to help his daughters break into the recording industry. FremantleMedia producing for a Q4 launch.
- Strange Days with Bob Saget – Features the actor-comedian immersing himself in strange cultures, practices and occupations. From Tijuana Entertainment/Brillstein Entertainment.
- Growing Up Twisted – Stars Twisted Sister frontman Dee Snider in a docusoap following him and his suburban family. Evolution Media is producing for a Q3 premiere.
- Teach: Tony Danza – Features Danza teaching an English class in a Philadelphia high school. Boutique TV produces.
- The Squad: Prison Police – follows a team of special agents who respond to and investigate, every major crime in the Tennessee prison system. Produced by Wild Eyes Prods.
- The Peacemaker – Follows a violence prevention counselor in South Central, Los Angeles. From OOG Prods.
Scripted dramas in development:
- Criminology – About a psychology professor who helps solve crimes. From Scott Free and writer W. Blake Herron.
- Big Mike – About a plus-sized detective. From Sony TV/Happy Madison and writers Ed Decter and John Strauss.
- American Crime – About a pair of FBI agents. From ABC Studios/Mark Gordon Prods. and writers Diana Son and Tanya Wexler.
- Hazel Rhodes – About a Southern homicide detective. From ABC Studios and writer Daniel Cerone.
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.