Lin-Manuel Miranda is finally going to be in the room where it happens, “it” being the Emmy-nominated DuckTales. The Hamilton creator will make his debut as Gizmoduck (aka Fenton Crackshell-Cabrera) in a new DuckTales episode set for Friday, May 11.
“I’m really excited that a new generation of kids will be growing up with DuckTales,” Miranda said. “As a huge fan of the original series, I love that I can share this new version with my sons.”
The Miranda-voiced Fenton, says the channel, is “Duckburg’s preeminent hero who has Latin roots,” a “brilliant young scientist” that marks a “reimagining” of the character by executive producer Matt Youngberg and co-producer and story editor Francisco Angones.
In Miranda’s debut episode, titled “Beware the B.U.D.D.Y. System!,” Fenton is recruited by Launchpad (voiced by Beck Bennett), who is feeling menaced by tech genius Mark Beaks’ newest invention. See the trailer above.
Miranda’s arrival is part of the channel’s inaugural “Duck Week” and a DuckTales promotion, stretching into the summer, involving interactive treasure hunts, theme park events, a product line, and more.
Beginning May 1, DuckTales will air daily on Disney Channel, with premieres set for every Friday in May. New episodes and shorts will debut throughout the summer across Disney Channel, DisneyNOW and Disney Channel YouTube.
The launch of the daily airings coincides with DisneyNOW’s debut of DuckTales Treasure Hunt LIVE!, an interactive experience on-air and in the DisneyNOW app. To play, DisneyNOW visitors select a team based on a DuckTales character, and a secret treasure will be revealed in the daily 8 pm episodes of DuckTales. The treasures can then be found in DisneyNOW to earn points for the team.
Every Friday in May, Disney Channel will highlight the leading team, and on May 25, the winning team will be announced on-air shout out by their DuckTale character Team Captain, with winners getting an exclusive in-app surprise.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom park in Florida will have family searches for some of the same treasures at the “Donald’s Dino-Bash!” experience at DinoLand U.S.A., beginning May 25.
Disney Channel’s first-ever “Duck Week” kicks off Sunday, May 6, including partnerships with ESPN, Disney Studios, Disney Parks and Resorts, and Disney|ABC Television; a DuckTales product line at Disney store and shopDisney.com; an “Augmented Reality”-branded experience for kids and a special Snapchat lens allowing fans to jump into a virtual Money Bin with DuckTales characters, all in collaboration with Unity Technologies.
- A PSA celebrating diverse families as part of Disney|ABC Television’s annual Foster Care Awareness campaign with FosterMore;
- New shorts featuring Webby Vanderquack, and interstitials featuring baby ducks in reimagined scenes from favorite Disney Channel shows including Andi Quack, Raven’s Pond and Duck in the Middle;
- An array of book titles begins this summer from Disney Press including DuckTales: Solving Mysteries and Rewriting History!, and comic books and graphic novels from IDW Publishing;
- A new toy line from PhatMojo including action figures, plush and collectibles exclusively at Target.
- On June 5, Disney Studios will release DuckTales: Destination Adventure!, an episode compilation DVD with two bonus classic DuckTales episodes released on DVD for the first time.
The DuckTales voice cast includes David Tennant, Danny Pudi, Ben Schwartz, Bobby Moynihan, Kate Micucci, Beck Bennett, Toks Olagundoye and Tony Anselmo, who has been the voice of Donald Duck since 1985.
DuckTales is executive-produced by Matt Youngberg, with Francisco Angones as co-producer and story editor, and Sean Jimenez as art director. The series is a production of Disney Television Animation.
The Lin-Manuel Miranda episode of DuckTales premieres Friday, May 11, at 8 pm ET/PT on on Disney Channel and DisneyNOW.