‘How I Met Your Father’: Alison Bennett Tapped To Write New ‘HIMYM’ Spinoff

EXCLUSIVE: 20th Century TV has set Alison Bennett (FX’s You’re the Worst) to write a spinoff from the studio’s long-running comedy series How I Met Your Mother

Three years after 20th TV first tried to launch a HIMYM spinoff with the CBS pilot How I Met Your Dad, written by HIMYM creators Carter Bays & Craig Thomas and Emily Spivey, the studio last season took a second stab at the idea with This Is Us co-executive producers Isaac Aptaker and Elizabeth Berger. But the duo’s busy schedule on This Is Us, where they were elevated to executive producers/co-showrunners, did not allow them to focus on How I Met Your Father, which was to be developed internally and written on spec at the studio.

20th TV is taking a similar route with the proposed new spinoff, again called How I Met Your Father, which Bennett will write under the overall deal she signed with the studio in April.

It will be a brand-new take on the general concept of a young ensemble show built around a storytelling device of a person — in this case a mother — telling the story of how they met their spouse. I hear it incorporates some of Bennett’s personal experiences. She had been earmarked for the job as 20th TV executives felt she might be perfect for it when they sat down with her after signing her into an overall deal.

“We’re always on the lookout for fresh, new voices, and Alison’s work on You’re the Worst has been incredible,” said 20th TV President of Creative Affairs Jonathan Davis when Bennett’s deal was announced. “She is completely original, hilariously funny and a big, big talent.”

How I Met Your Father is being written on spec at the studio, with no network attached, though CBS brass had stated publicly that they would be interested. Like with last season’s How I Met Your Father script, Bays and Thomas are attached to executive produce as creators of the original series, but their involvement is expected to be very limited as they are under an overall deal at Sony TV.

“It’s one that’s been slowly cooked. If it’s the right idea, the right execution, we’ll take that,” Fox chairman Dana Walden said about the studio’s HIMYM spinoff strategy earlier this week.

Bennett, an Upright Citizens Brigade alumna, is a supervising producer on the well-received FX/FX Prods. comedy series You’re the Worst, created by Stephen Falk, where she has worked since Season 1.

Bennett previously worked as a writer-producer on Comedy Central’s Idiotsitter and Hulu’s The Awesomes. She is repped by UTA and Jackoway Tyerman.

Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy

17 Comments

Comments On Deadline Hollywood are monitored. So don't go off topic, don't impersonate anyone, and don't get your facts wrong.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

1. Brianon Aug 11, 2017 4:22 pm

Well the fact that she worked on you’re the worst means that she’s talented and there’s hope for this show after all, because himym was horrendous

• m said.on Aug 14, 2017 4:42 pm

that’s not how staffing works. Sometimes it means you’re talented, sometimes it doesn’t mean anything.

2. on Aug 11, 2017 5:06 pm

Give it up already. The original show was not really funny. I doubt this one will be.

• Andrewon Aug 11, 2017 6:58 pm

Why do you care though?

3. SAGAFTRA for WGAon Aug 11, 2017 5:21 pm

Upright Citizens Brigade is a cult. Why Hollywoodso happily associates with it’s members is beyond me.

4. Who Jackieon Aug 11, 2017 6:05 pm

Let it go.

5. Michael Platton Aug 11, 2017 9:45 pm

Alison is AWESOME and beyond talented. She’s going to write a killer script!

6. Michael Platton Aug 11, 2017 9:47 pm

Alison Bennett is AWESOME and beyond talented. She’s going to write a killer script!

7. on Aug 11, 2017 9:49 pm

I never understood how HIMYM stayed on the air. I’ve never met a single genuine fan. It was classic ‘spose TV. As in I ‘spose there’s nothing better on, I guess I’ll watch this.

• on Aug 12, 2017 11:51 am

HIMYM was a great show for the first 4 maybe 5 seasons, then after that it dragged on too much with a lot of filler eps. Season 9 was horrid with too many episodes put towards the “wedding”. They could of cut the wedding down by a good 5 eps and started building towards the finale, but instead they decided to throw a whole whack of info at the viewer in the finale. This confused and angered viewers and thus is why this spinoff will fail regardless of whether Allison is a great writer or not. The final season was handled poorly and it came across that Carter Bays & Craig Thomas and Emily Spivey and CBS were taking the viewers for granted.

What’s that old saying, fool me once shame on me, fool me twice shame on you….. Ppl aren’t going to be fooled a second time

8. on Aug 12, 2017 12:20 am

Wow she is great! Well done! I still would have hoped for a lesbian lead character,but if its inspired by her personal life,that doesnt seem the case. I still hope at least one of the main characters will be gay,and also more Poc thanks,cause HIMYM was white as hell,like Friends too.

9. on Aug 12, 2017 2:45 am

After the terrible ending of HIMYM, no one seems to be interested at this show.

10. helloon Aug 12, 2017 4:37 am

Congrats Alison Bennett! :)

11. on Aug 12, 2017 4:47 am

I went to school with her! But i was more Better at comedy!!

12. J Froston Aug 12, 2017 5:54 am

Does anyone actually want to see this?! I thought HIMYM was among the most painfully unfunny sitcoms of the past 20 years. Bennett is talented for sure but her talents are wasted on this.

13. on Aug 12, 2017 6:10 am

Himym was great

14. Chris (@1000thghostauto)on Aug 13, 2017 1:27 am

Who cares? She is dead and he goes and gets back with the woman he always loved.