‘Scream’ TV Series Eyes Reboot For Season 3 On MTV

The upcoming 6-episode third season of MTV’s series Scream will be hitting the reset button. I hear that the network and producing company, Dimension TV, are looking to reboot the show, based on the hit teen movie franchise, with a new storyline and new cast.

The plan is tentative as the project is still searching for a new showrunner who would shape the concept for Season 3, but I hear MTV, which just went through a major regime overhaul, remains committed to the series. While the new showrunner may opt to include references to events and characters from the first two seasons, I hear the idea is to start fresh by reimagening the cult title. MTV and Dimension had no comment.

I hear the cast of the series had been quietly given permission to take other jobs, and star Willa Fitzgerald just booked a series regular role on the Fox pilot Behind Enemy Lines in first position.

Scream was renewed for a third season in October with a 6-episode order, down from the 10- and 13-episode first and second seasons. This is the second showrunner change on the series. Jill Blotevogal and Jaime Paglia served as showrunners on Season 1, with Blotevogel rewriting the original pilot script by Jay Beattie and Dan Dworkin. Michael Gans and Richard Register were brought in as showrunners at the beginning of the second season.

Scream will be seeking a ratings turnaround in Season 3. After a solid series launch, likely boosted by the films’ popularity, the most recent second season drew an average of 377,000 viewers in Live+same day, half of the audience for Season 1.

Harvey and Bob Weinstein executive produce under the Dimension TV production umbrella. Wes Craven, Tony DiSanto, Liz Gateley, Marianne Maddalena and Cathy Konrad also executive produce. Matthew Signer and Keith Levine are producers.

Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy

26 Comments

Comments On Deadline Hollywood are monitored. So don't go off topic, don't impersonate anyone, and don't get your facts wrong.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

1. Riveron Mar 17, 2017 10:18 am

I watch that show because Bex Taylor-Klaus is fantastic. If she’s out… I’m out.

• on Mar 17, 2017 12:28 pm

same

• on Mar 17, 2017 1:18 pm

same x2

• Lizon Mar 17, 2017 2:58 pm

Same x3

• on Mar 17, 2017 5:54 pm

Same x4

• on Mar 18, 2017 1:02 pm

Same x5

• on Mar 18, 2017 9:08 pm

She’s such a nice person. I met her the other day.

2. on Mar 17, 2017 10:54 am

it didnt work the first time, just let it go!

3. DWon Mar 17, 2017 12:53 pm

This show is awful and an embarrassment to the Scream brand. Why doesn’t MTV just cut their losses and get rid of it?

4. Samon Mar 17, 2017 1:18 pm

Stupid MTV making a huge mistake. Should have finished the current storyline before jumping into a new story. I won’t stick around and reading comments on other sites, seems there won’t be an audience left for this reboot again.

• on Mar 19, 2017 12:27 pm

I totally agree I would like to have a season full of answers to what was already going on but now we have to have more questions but I still enjoy the show ☺

5. Erick Voshelon Mar 17, 2017 1:58 pm

At least give the current storyline a chance to wrap up and then reboot the series for season 4

6. Anonymouson Mar 17, 2017 3:24 pm

Looks like the cliffhanger at the end of season two is going to stay as a cliffhanger.

7. All Filler No Killeron Mar 17, 2017 3:31 pm

MTV and TWC’s handling of this franchise are an absolute joke. Infighting, blowing up episodes on set, production shutdowns, random hirings/firings, and a shocking obliviousness to what makes television compelling.

You’ve already dealt your brand a mortal blow. Why won’t you just put it out of its misery?

8. Martin Hanley-Frost (@MrFrost_39)on Mar 17, 2017 5:43 pm

If they do please bring in the real Ghostface mask. And bring back Roger Jackson to do the voice.

9. on Mar 17, 2017 7:40 pm

aw yes!! I’ve seen both seasons like 3 times each. wish hemlock Grove would get another one..

• on Mar 18, 2017 8:59 pm

I miss hemlock grove.

10. on Mar 18, 2017 12:22 am

Please, they aren’t rebooting it. The cast was let go because the series is ending after the sixth and final episode. Think about it, the last two years have been building up to the return of Brandon James to Lakewood. Do you really think MTV is going to throw that all away for six episodes of a series they even tried to sabotage by not promoting the second season as well as giving it a dead time of 11:00 on a Monday night for the first four weeks?

11. Heatheron Mar 18, 2017 8:22 am

Yeah im pretty sure the in the ratings was because of the predictable shoddy writing and not because of the actors…the actors are the only reason i still watch this sht show (mainly bex who is the reason i watched in the first place)w.o bex im out

• on Mar 25, 2017 5:03 am

Same!!!

12. Annaon Mar 18, 2017 10:31 am

It would appear that with a reboot, the cast won’t be the only thing leaving. I’ll be out too.

(They should be finishing the current storyline, with their excellent cast.)

13. on Mar 18, 2017 9:11 pm

I liked the entire cast. On the bright side it gives me more of an opportunity. It’s interesting to note that the main cast is listed for 2017 on IMDb.com. I hope they keep everyone.

14. Aon Mar 20, 2017 4:19 am

The only reason people watched the second season was because they fell in love with the cast, if they change the cast then they`ll loose more viewers

15. Nickolas Parshinon Mar 21, 2017 2:40 am

“I hear” is like 4 times in the article….
    Anyway, I guess the new showwrunner will decided, wether or not characters are gonna be the same. But I really hope it’s not true. Finish the story, then no problem – do a reboot. But now?? With so many unanswered questions? How are we supposed to stay commited to your shows, if you’re not gonna reveal major misteries?

16. on Mar 23, 2017 1:26 am

That totally Sucks.. The ending of Season 2 left off on a cliffhanger.. Brandon James calling Kieran in prison.. If anything they should finish out that story first.. Then move on to a new Storyline..I got to know those characters over 2 seasons..

17. on Mar 25, 2017 5:02 am

Noooooo I’m gonna cry this is horrible
    If they change it and everything is different I’m done I’m not gonna watch it 😭😭😭😭 the scream that is season 1 and 2 is what o like and now it’s all changed wtf ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!