‘Scream’ TV Series Eyes Reboot For Season 3 On MTV

The upcoming 6-episode third season of MTV’s series Scream will be hitting the reset button. I hear that the network and producing company, Dimension TV, are looking to reboot the show, based on the hit teen movie franchise, with a new storyline and new cast.

The plan is tentative as the project is still searching for a new showrunner who would shape the concept for Season 3, but I hear MTV, which just went through a major regime overhaul, remains committed to the series. While the new showrunner may opt to include references to events and characters from the first two seasons, I hear the idea is to start fresh by reimagening the cult title. MTV and Dimension had no comment.

I hear the cast of the series had been quietly given permission to take other jobs, and star Willa Fitzgerald just booked a series regular role on the Fox pilot Behind Enemy Lines in first position.

Scream was renewed for a third season in October with a 6-episode order, down from the 10- and 13-episode first and second seasons. This is the second showrunner change on the series. Jill Blotevogal and Jaime Paglia served as showrunners on Season 1, with Blotevogel rewriting the original pilot script by Jay Beattie and Dan Dworkin. Michael Gans and Richard Register were brought in as showrunners at the beginning of the second season.

Scream will be seeking a ratings turnaround in Season 3. After a solid series launch, likely boosted by the films’ popularity, the most recent second season drew an average of 377,000 viewers in Live+same day, half of the audience for Season 1.

Harvey and Bob Weinstein executive produce under the Dimension TV production umbrella. Wes Craven, Tony DiSanto, Liz Gateley, Marianne Maddalena and Cathy Konrad also executive produce. Matthew Signer and Keith Levine are producers.

Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy

46 Comments

1. Riveron Mar 17, 2017 10:18 am

I watch that show because Bex Taylor-Klaus is fantastic. If she’s out… I’m out.

• on Mar 17, 2017 12:28 pm

same

• on Mar 17, 2017 1:18 pm

same x2

• Lizon Mar 17, 2017 2:58 pm

Same x3

• on Mar 17, 2017 5:54 pm

Same x4

• on Mar 18, 2017 1:02 pm

Same x5

• on Mar 18, 2017 9:08 pm

She’s such a nice person. I met her the other day.

• Melodyon Mar 31, 2017 7:03 pm

Same

• on Apr 4, 2017 11:21 pm

That is a really weird reason to watch a show. Surely you could just look at her social media presence and save yourselves a lot of time?

2. on Mar 17, 2017 10:54 am

it didnt work the first time, just let it go!

3. DWon Mar 17, 2017 12:53 pm

This show is awful and an embarrassment to the Scream brand. Why doesn’t MTV just cut their losses and get rid of it?

4. Samon Mar 17, 2017 1:18 pm

Stupid MTV making a huge mistake. Should have finished the current storyline before jumping into a new story. I won’t stick around and reading comments on other sites, seems there won’t be an audience left for this reboot again.

• on Mar 19, 2017 12:27 pm

I totally agree I would like to have a season full of answers to what was already going on but now we have to have more questions but I still enjoy the show ☺

• on Mar 28, 2017 1:21 pm

I completely agree 👎

5. Erick Voshelon Mar 17, 2017 1:58 pm

At least give the current storyline a chance to wrap up and then reboot the series for season 4

6. Anonymouson Mar 17, 2017 3:24 pm

Looks like the cliffhanger at the end of season two is going to stay as a cliffhanger.

7. All Filler No Killeron Mar 17, 2017 3:31 pm

MTV and TWC’s handling of this franchise are an absolute joke. Infighting, blowing up episodes on set, production shutdowns, random hirings/firings, and a shocking obliviousness to what makes television compelling.

You’ve already dealt your brand a mortal blow. Why won’t you just put it out of its misery?

8. Martin Hanley-Frost (@MrFrost_39)on Mar 17, 2017 5:43 pm

If they do please bring in the real Ghostface mask. And bring back Roger Jackson to do the voice.

9. on Mar 17, 2017 7:40 pm

aw yes!! I’ve seen both seasons like 3 times each. wish hemlock Grove would get another one..

• on Mar 18, 2017 8:59 pm

I miss hemlock grove.

• on Mar 30, 2017 5:19 am

what is Hemlock Grove? :O

10. on Mar 18, 2017 12:22 am

Please, they aren’t rebooting it. The cast was let go because the series is ending after the sixth and final episode. Think about it, the last two years have been building up to the return of Brandon James to Lakewood. Do you really think MTV is going to throw that all away for six episodes of a series they even tried to sabotage by not promoting the second season as well as giving it a dead time of 11:00 on a Monday night for the first four weeks?

11. Heatheron Mar 18, 2017 8:22 am

Yeah im pretty sure the in the ratings was because of the predictable shoddy writing and not because of the actors…the actors are the only reason i still watch this sht show (mainly bex who is the reason i watched in the first place)w.o bex im out

• on Mar 25, 2017 5:03 am

Same!!!

12. Annaon Mar 18, 2017 10:31 am

It would appear that with a reboot, the cast won’t be the only thing leaving. I’ll be out too.

(They should be finishing the current storyline, with their excellent cast.)

13. on Mar 18, 2017 9:11 pm

I liked the entire cast. On the bright side it gives me more of an opportunity. It’s interesting to note that the main cast is listed for 2017 on IMDb.com. I hope they keep everyone.

14. Aon Mar 20, 2017 4:19 am

The only reason people watched the second season was because they fell in love with the cast, if they change the cast then they`ll loose more viewers

15. Nickolas Parshinon Mar 21, 2017 2:40 am

“I hear” is like 4 times in the article….
    Anyway, I guess the new showwrunner will decided, wether or not characters are gonna be the same. But I really hope it’s not true. Finish the story, then no problem – do a reboot. But now?? With so many unanswered questions? How are we supposed to stay commited to your shows, if you’re not gonna reveal major misteries?

16. on Mar 23, 2017 1:26 am

That totally Sucks.. The ending of Season 2 left off on a cliffhanger.. Brandon James calling Kieran in prison.. If anything they should finish out that story first.. Then move on to a new Storyline..I got to know those characters over 2 seasons..

• on Mar 26, 2017 8:02 pm

There was an hour long special created after that. Check it out. At least there’s some closure.

• on Mar 27, 2017 11:02 am

Where do we find that hour long special?

• on Mar 28, 2017 5:26 pm

Netflix has it

17. on Mar 25, 2017 5:02 am

Noooooo I’m gonna cry this is horrible
    If they change it and everything is different I’m done I’m not gonna watch it 😭😭😭😭 the scream that is season 1 and 2 is what o like and now it’s all changed wtf ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

18. on Mar 28, 2017 4:53 pm

Boooo!! It will not be the same without the original cast.

19. Cody,N,Higgins (@DarklordSpeedy)on Mar 28, 2017 6:04 pm

Reboo-WHY REBOOT!? I actually thought S2 was doing very well, altho killing Ghostface off to just replace him I found was their worst choice as the possibilities that were killed with him…

I enjoy the Scream TV Series, it has flaws but was getting so good—-aw well, as long as there won’t be plotholes that’ll never be brought up.

P.S I believe Audrey is Piper’s surprise! AT LEAST originally, throughout S2 I got strong feelings that she was “her final surprise” and the new Ghostface was whoever discovered their letters to the other.

20. Logan Higginson Mar 29, 2017 9:03 am

No! NO! I NEED MY NOAH, AUDREY, AND BROOKE! NOO! NOOOOOOOOOOOO! i’m done with the show. MTV, Netflix, TWC, sorry, but you just lost A LOT of viewers.

21. on Mar 30, 2017 5:33 am

I wont lie the Cast does make a majority of this show but you gotta admire how much this show makes you twist every possibility of who the killer actually is! and it is t cheesy either! it keeps your thoughts in a literal “Brain Tornado” Noah really does make another majority of this show also..he really does make the morgue/death into an intriguing story. for a “re-make” of the one and only Scream Films this show really puts you on the edge of your seat and just makes you want to keeep watching!
    i agree with what everybodies saying on finishing the current story before rebooting and changing the whole story cause theres still too much guessing..

• on Apr 14, 2017 8:10 am

Strongly agree.
      The shows are too many guesses to unfold and not that bad.
      Plus, the story if not goes this way it will not be as great in every perspective as the same.
      I vote to finishing it first and then goes, the reboot.

22. P Y Eon Mar 30, 2017 5:37 am

i also have to admit that this TV series version of the “ghostface” mask is 1000 times more scary than the scream Films!
    and also what better comeback for this show would there be than having Brandon James actually come out of the woodwork, to me that would really bring the best out of this show!!
    P.S. I LOVE THESE CLIFFHANGERS👌🏻😍😍

23. on Apr 4, 2017 11:19 pm

…You know Wes Craven’s dead, right?

• on Apr 10, 2017 3:00 pm

No he isn’t

24. on Apr 5, 2017 9:19 pm

This is to MTV producer’s and everyone that has a say with this show We the viewers the people that make or break your show are telling you with no exception WE WILL NOT WATCH THIS SHOW WITHOUT THE ORIGINAL LAKEWOOD CAST Emma, Audrey, Brooke, Noah (ect) So don’t waste your time or ours with an entire new cast cause you’ll be throwing away what yall care most money cause nobody will watch that’s a promise

25. on Apr 10, 2017 3:15 pm

If they are planning to reboot the series why are the remaining survivors of the Lakewood 6 all on IMDb as appearing in 29 episodes not 23? Clearly they are or have filmed season 3 with the original cast,if the powers that be want to reboot then do it for a 4th season don’t cut short the original cast they are part of what makes it..I’m sure a few people spent most of season 1 wondering if Noah and Audrey would have a “special moment” etc with them being so close and he a virgin and her “bi-curios” it created a story away from the murders

Load More Comments