‘Salem’ To End After 3 Seasons On WGN America

The current third season of WGN America’s supernatural drama Salem will be its last. The network has opted not to order a fourth season of the series, which reimagines the infamous 17th century witch trials in a world where witches are real, but they are not who or what they seem to be. Salem‘s storyline will wrap with the conclusion of the 10-episode third season in early 2017 as the season finale will serve as series finale. That is something Salem creators Brannon Braga and Adam Simon are prepared for.

“We knew this would be the third and final season and were able to craft an exciting climax to Mary’s transformational saga,” they said.

Salem Season 3
WGN America

Produced by Fox 21 Television Studios, Salem was a game changer for WGN America when it debuted in 2014 as the network’s first original scripted series. Salem was a breakout, drawing 1.5 million viewers for its premiere to become WGNA’s highest rated telecast in more seven years at a time when the network only covered 62% of the country and was a single-feed channel. That debut Live+same day viewership is yet to be matched by a WGNA scripted series. After the big start, Salem‘s ratings tapered off pretty quickly. In its current third season, the series has averagef between 200,000 and 300,000 viewers in L+SD.

Salem is a fantastic show that greatly contributed to our successful launch into original programming,” said Matt Cherniss, president and general manager, WGN America and Tribune Studios.  “We thank Brannon, Adam, our talented cast and our partners at Fox 21, for entrusting us with their unique and remarkable vision for the world of Salem.  We also thank the fans for their loyal support of the show.”

Salem stars Janet Montgomery, Shane West, Seth Gabel, Ashley Madekwe, Tamzin Merchant, Elise Eberle, Iddo Goldberg, Joe Doyle, and Oliver Bell, with Marilyn Manson guest-starring in Season 3.

“We are grateful to WGN America and Fox 21 for being terrific partners and giving us free reign to create a satisfying conclusion—one we believe respects our love of storytelling and the show’s passionate fans,” Braga and Simon said. “It was a magical experience to create Salem and we want to thank every producer, writer, director, actor and crew member, for all they have done to help us bring the world of Salem to life.”

WGNA’s remaining original drama series are Underground and Outsiders, which, after promising starts, are returning for their second seasons in 2017.

Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy

15 Comments

1. kerzondaxon Dec 13, 2016 1:02 pm

Quite a good show.

2. Frankon Dec 13, 2016 1:13 pm

first season was the best with the coolest artwork and tons of press…then everything went to hell, literally.

3. jackifred@hotmail.comon Dec 13, 2016 5:34 pm

Sad to hear Salem is done after its 3rd season. It seems too me all the shows I like have been canceled. Being Wicca I really enjoyed this show. Please reconsider a 4th, 5th, 6th, and more as I would love Salem to continue! Thank you WGNA for a great show! Thank you too the awesome cast and all the people who are responsible for Salem! All of you will be missed. Many Blessings for a great future. Happy Holidays, Jacki

• on Dec 13, 2016 9:50 pm

Xactly what Jackifred said. I love the show and I watch it religiously. I know it’s all about the ratings but please figure something out. I will deeply miss the show. Can the network move to a different time or even have a different network pick it up? I know we are just a few drops of water in the ocean of decisions but you can’t blame us for trying.

• John Ross (@Theeth70)on Dec 14, 2016 12:29 am

A comment on a website is hardly “trying” to save the show you oove, anonymous.

• Jason McMillanon Jan 3, 2017 1:18 am

@John Ross: Hahahahah! So very true… :D

4. on Dec 13, 2016 7:28 pm

I truly feel that changing the day the show
    “Salem” is viewed on from Sunday night to Wednesday night has played a large part of having less viewers.
    During the week days you have school activities, first,second and third shift workers. Very little time for TV during week days.
    Sunday was a better time slot for SALEM.
    I work second shift. I hated seeing the day changed for watching the show.
    I recorded it of course, but others might not could.
    I really hate to read that it is ending. This is by far the best series on tv . Love this series.
    Couldn’t hardly wait for each new series to start.
    I really hope and pray that the network will reconsider and not cancel the show and have more series of Salem.
    It’s just devastating to know it will end. Like loosening a part of you.
    I am sure there are many many viewers out there
    That feel the same.
    Please reconsider.

5. Cathy456864@gmail.comon Dec 13, 2016 10:33 pm

This is so devastating, SALEM ENDING !
    THIS CANNOT BE, THIS IS THE BEST AND GREATEST SHOWS THAT HAS BEEN CREATED!
    I THINK CHANGING THE NIGHT IT WAS ON THIS SEASON HAD A DRAMATIC EFFECT ON NUMBER OF VIEWERS. PEOPLE HAVE TO WORK, NOT TO MENTION 2ND/3RD SHIFTS AS WELL. STUDENTS HAVE SCHOOL/ACTIVITIES. BUT SUNDAYS WERE HOME TIME.
    I SINCERELY HOPE THAT WGN AMERICA RECONSIDER AND CONTINUE SALEM WITH A 4TH SEASON. PUT IT BACK ON A SUNDAY FOR A 4TH SEASON, GIVE THIS WONDERFUL SHOW A BENEFIT OF DOUBT. DON’T JUST CANCEL IT.
    I PERSONALLY LOVED THIS SHOW. COULD HARDLY STAND WAITING FOR THE MONTHS TO GO BY FOR THE NEXT SEASON TO BEGIN. NOW THIS!!
    WGN… PLEASE RECONSIDER AND CONTINUE SALEM FOR A 4TH SEASON.
    I FEEL SURE THAT THERE ARE MILLIONS OF OTHER VIEWERS THAT SHARE THE SAME FEELING S AND THOUGHTS ABOUT THIS AS I DO.

6. on Dec 13, 2016 11:49 pm

GIVE THIS WONDERFUL EXCITING ONE OF A KIND SHOW ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY.
    WGN AMERICA PLEASE CHANGE YOUR DECISION TO AXE IT !!!
    WE BEG OF YOU. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!

7. on Dec 14, 2016 11:51 am

I am very sad to see Salem end. I have enjoyed watching it. To the producers, writers,directors,actors and crew members, thank you for making it a wonderful show to watch.

8. on Dec 14, 2016 7:14 pm

Ridiculous! Never fails. I find a show that I really love and they choose not to renew it. Typical. I could care less about the other 2 shows they are bringing back.

9. tomon Dec 15, 2016 8:26 pm

This has been the best show. I knew it would get canceled because it was too good. Only stupid ridiculous shows seem to last a long time. Some popular tv network should pick this show up and run with it if the writers agreed. But, I’ve read that the writers were prepared and have a good ending for us all. Anything’s possible!

10. Celiaon Dec 16, 2016 8:49 am

So disappointing…it’s only gotten better each season.

11. c m (@NyteStalker)on Dec 29, 2016 4:22 pm

Great series to start out then tapered off with the plot/storyline..started feeling lost like it didn’t know where to go. Still sad to see it go as I’m sure it would’ve only gotten better..

12. Karen Elizabethon Dec 30, 2016 4:41 pm

I think it was a mistake to take it off Hulu. I watched when it was on hulu. My cable service does not carry WGN I opted not to pay to watch the other seasons.