Proving that comedy will never top reality (at least when it comes to U.S. politics), Jonah Hill hosted last night’s SNL and none of the sketches could compete with the GOP circus unfolding in real time. The cold open featured Bobby Moynihan as New Jersey Governor Chris Christie doing his best impression of a deer-in-the-headlights as Darrell Hammond’s Donald Trump carried on. For his part, Hill (hosting for the fourth time) was barely visible — even with a game assist from musical guest Future during the awful opening monologue that seemed designed to poke mean-spirited fun at the sorta-star. (Future, who brought in The Weeknd for his second number, was great, btw.) This mildly funny sketch had Hill as a sheik commandeering a high school fundraiser on behalf of his boss in Qatar, bidding $1 million for an appearance by a rock trio (Sasheer Zamata, Cecily Strong and Kyle Mooney) none too eager to spend a week in Doha. Not brilliant stuff, but genius compared with a late-in-the-show bit about an over-selling caterer (wait, what?) or the earlier “Fond du Lac Action News,” which began tired and just kinda fell asleep.
Video: Host Jonah Hill’s Sheik Hijacks School Auction – ‘Saturday Night Live’
What's Hot on Deadline
Bravo Unveils Unscripted Slate With 6 New & 18 Returning Series; More 'Real Housewives' & 'Vanderpump Rules'
M Night Shyamalan Unveils 'Glass': 'Unbreakable' & 'Split' Sequel To Star Bruce Willis, Samuel L Jackson, James McAvoy
Mindy Kaling & 3 Arts Option Alyssa Mastromonaco White House Memoir 'Who Thought This Was A Good Idea?' For TV
'Fate Of The Furious' Drives Toward $1B Global As Rest Of Stateside Biz Idles Ahead Of 'Guardians 2' - Box Office Preview
Latest Video News
- Rita Moreno On Her EGOT Wins, Affairs With Brando & Elvis (!) And Taking Life ‘One Day At A Time’ – The…
- Abramorama Acquires ‘Hare Krishna!’ Documentary & Releases Trailer
- ‘Cars 3′ Trailer: Ol’ 95 Is Getting Rusty As A Record-Setting New Rival Emerges
- ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ Review: Elisabeth Moss-Led Adaptation Is Gripping, Chilling
- Stephen Colbert Likens Sean Spicer’s Press Briefings To Soap Opera ‘The Bold And The Babbling’
- ‘Genius’ Review: Nat Geo’s Geoffrey Rush-Led Einstein Drama Solid But Lacks Shine