Proving that comedy will never top reality (at least when it comes to U.S. politics), Jonah Hill hosted last night’s SNL and none of the sketches could compete with the GOP circus unfolding in real time. The cold open featured Bobby Moynihan as New Jersey Governor Chris Christie doing his best impression of a deer-in-the-headlights as Darrell Hammond’s Donald Trump carried on. For his part, Hill (hosting for the fourth time) was barely visible — even with a game assist from musical guest Future during the awful opening monologue that seemed designed to poke mean-spirited fun at the sorta-star. (Future, who brought in The Weeknd for his second number, was great, btw.) This mildly funny sketch had Hill as a sheik commandeering a high school fundraiser on behalf of his boss in Qatar, bidding $1 million for an appearance by a rock trio (Sasheer Zamata, Cecily Strong and Kyle Mooney) none too eager to spend a week in Doha. Not brilliant stuff, but genius compared with a late-in-the-show bit about an over-selling caterer (wait, what?) or the earlier “Fond du Lac Action News,” which began tired and just kinda fell asleep.
Video: Host Jonah Hill’s Sheik Hijacks School Auction – ‘Saturday Night Live’
What's Hot on Deadline
Veterans 'Elementary', '2 Broke Girls', 'Criminal Minds' & 'Amazing Race' Among Series Left In Limbo After CBS Renewals
CBS Renews 5 Freshman & 11 Returning Series, Including 'MacGyver', 'Superior Donuts', 'Life In Pieces' & 'Hawaii Five-0'
Latest Video News
- ‘Life’ Review: Jake Gyllenhaal & Ryan Reynolds Fight Creepy Alien In Killer Space Adventure
- ‘Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri’ Redband Trailer: Grieving Mom Frances McDormand Vs. Local Cop…
- Samantha Bee To Donald Trump After London Attack: “This Is Not Playtime Now. Sh*t Is Real”
- James Corden Pays Tribute To London Terrorist Attack Victims: “I Felt A Really Long Way From Home”
- Jimmy Kimmel Mulls Donald Trump’s Campaign Chairman's Ties To Russia
- ‘Empire’ Season 3B Teaser: Eva Longoria & Demi Moore Make Their Debut