A movie about the work of a book editor seems on paper as promising as a movie about the drudgery of investigative reporting — until a Spotlight or an All The President’s Men comes along to challenge our preconceptions. Here’s the trailer from Genius, which stars Colin Firth as legendary literary editor Max Perkins and Jude Law as his most challenging author, Thomas Wolfe, with guest appearances by Ernest Hemingway (Dominic West) and F. Scott Fitzgerald (Guy Pearce), two more writers who owed their careers to Perkins. The cast also includes Nicole Kidman as costume designer Aline Bernstein, Wolfe’s married lover, and Laura Linney as Perkins’ wife Louise. The director is Michael Grandage, currently represented on Broadway with the revival of Eugene O’Neill’s Hughie, starring Forest Whitaker. John Logan (Gladiator, Skyfall) wrote the screenplay, based on A. Scott Berg’s Max Perkins: Editor of Genius. Lionsgate and Roadside Attractions plan to release the film June 10.
‘Genius’ Trailer: Colin Firth As Editor Max Perkins And Jude Law As Writer Thomas Wolfe
What's Hot on Deadline
DC Digital Service To Launch With 'Titans' Series From Greg Berlanti & Akiva Goldsman And 'Young Justice: Outsiders'
Latest Film News
- Protagonist Pictures Boards Directors’ Fortnight Title ‘The Rider’ — Cannes
- Paul Verhoeven Sets Next: ‘Blessed Virgin’ To Star ‘Elle’s Virginie Efira As Lesbian Nun
- ‘Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales’ To World Premiere In Shanghai
- Deadline Studio at Tribeca 2017 – Day 5 – Milo Ventimiglia, Cobie Smulders, Justin Long, Martin Landau & More
- Jeff Goldblum Books Trip To ‘Jurassic World’ Sequel
- WGA Contract Talks Over For The Day, Will Resume Wednesday – Update