Click to Skip Ad
Closing in...

’24: Legacy’ Casts ‘Straight Outta Compton’s Corey Hawkins As Male Lead

Corey Hawkins 24

Straight outta Compton to CTU. After lengthy on-and-off negotiations, Corey Hawkins has signed on as the male lead in 24: Legacy, Fox’s pilot that reboots the 24 franchise with brand new characters, led by Eric Carter (Hawkins). The character, who succeeds Kiefer Sutherland’s Jack Bauer as the hero on the show, was conceived as written as African American. Sutherland is not reprising his role and is not creatively involved in the project at this time.

24: Legacy, written by 24 veterans Manny Coto and Evan Katz and directed by Stephen Hopkins (who helmed the original 24 pilot), centers on miliFox logo horizontaltary hero Eric Carter (Hawkins) and chronicles his return to the U.S. and the trouble that follows him back – compelling him to ask CTU for help in saving his life, and stopping what potentially could be one of the largest-scale terror attacks on American soil. Coming from a very rough background, Carter turned his life around in the Army Rangers but now, back home in Virginia with his wife Nicole, he’s pulled back into action as his past comes looking for him.

24Unlike the original 24, which was centered squarely on Jack Bauer, 24: Legacy will have a strong female lead, a woman with a long history at the agency and former head of CTU. There will likely be mentions of former CTU members from the original 24 series on 24: Legacy, and some of them will be featured in photos, but there are no plans for any of the 24 cast members to have an ongoing presence on the new series.

24: Legacy is executive produced by Howard Gordon, Coto, Katz and Brian Grazer through 20th Century Fox TV, Imagine TV and Gordon’s Teakwood Lane Productions.

Hawkins is coming off his breakout role as Dr. Dre in the feature hit Straight Outta Compton. He also recently did an arc on the hugely popular AMC series The Walking Dead and will next be seen in Legendary’s Kong: Skull Island. A graduate of Juilliard, Hawkins previously starred on Broadway in Romeo & Juliet. He is repped by ICM Partners and Jackoway Tyerman.

Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy

76 Comments

1. huggiebearismeon Jan 25, 2016 12:19 pm

I haven’t seen Straight Outta Compton, so I’m only basing this on the picture in this article…… but he looks really young to play a part like this. Even with the facial hair he looks like a high schooler to me. Is this an old headshot? Does he look older than this normally?

• Not Easily Entertained...on Jan 25, 2016 12:36 pm

If you haven’t seen Straight Outta Compton, be quiet… and if you’re basing a picture on whether an actor can carry a series, get out of the business if you’re in it…

• CWon Jan 25, 2016 12:55 pm

I agree…he looks too young. And I won’t be quiet so don’t bother telling me.

• huggiebearismeon Jan 25, 2016 12:57 pm

Jesus calm the fuck down. Did you not see the question marks at the end of my post? I’m asking if he looks older than he does in the picture, I didn’t say anything about his acting ability. Based on that picture he looks really young. You his agent? Publicist? Mom? Dad? Just an annoying douche that becomes a self rightious tw*t at the drop of a hat?

• Not Easily Entertained...on Jan 25, 2016 1:28 pm

Right. You didn’t say anything about his acting ability, which is the most important. And why does it matter if he looks young? He obviously looks old enough for the network who hired him. If you’re so concerned about him, do your research on him, hater.

• huggiebearismeon Jan 26, 2016 11:09 am

Are you Corey? His agent? His publicist? A sick fan that thinks he’s going to date you? He looks young. I don’t care how old he is, he looks young. I’d expect him to be in a college show on the CW. Maybe if he shaves he could pull off high school. It takes years of training to be an agent for a counter intelligence agency. Corey can be the greatest actor ever, but if he looks like a kid in college it’s not going to be believable that he’s a highly trained CTU/CIA agent.

If what the anonymous poster below says about the script is true than the show is about a kid returning home from fighting in the war, so maybe he can pull it off. But if I’m watching that show & he’s playing a character that’s supposed to be older than 21 I’m not going to find him believable at all. Frankly, based off your reaction I’d say he’s got some unstable fans, & your psychotic reaction to someone saying he looks young only makes me want to see him fail & not support anything he’s in. Congrats, you’ve lost him a potential viewer! Good job!

• Nettie Lynch-Kelleron Jan 27, 2016 4:11 pm

Lol! You know that “looks too young” comment is code for “why is he black”? Lol.

• huggiebearismeon Jan 27, 2016 10:36 pm

Nettie Lynch-Keller…. Nope. I’m black. That’s definitely not the reason for my comment. It’s not a “code.” Corey looks too young for this type of role. He might be 28 in real life, but he doesn’t look like he’s remotely close to that age. If his character is anything other than 21 or younger I’m not going to believe him in the role. Plain & simple. I’m not like some of the commenters that have the “he’s not Keifer” attitude. As long as the show is good & the characters are good I don’t give a damn about anything else. But if the show ask me to believe that Corey looks like a guy pushing 30 I’m not going to find it believable.

You do us a great disservice by making comments like this. There’s no other way to say it. You’re hurting more than you’re helping. Not every person that makes a comment about a black actor is making it because of the color of that person’s skin. Yes, there are the people you see below in these comments that clearly have issues with Corey’s race, but not every person that has a problem with the casting has that problem because he’s black. Jumping on anyone & claiming they’re racist is idiotic & does nothing to help our plite. Absolutely nothing. You attack people that have made it clear that race is at least part of the issue, like someone saying this was a “PC” choice. Someone like that is making it clear that race is at least somewhat behind their comment. The greatest obsticale we face

• huggiebearismeon Jan 28, 2016 2:53 am

It cut off the rest of my comment it. It should say:

The greatest obstacle we face is losing focus on the real problems. That’s what happens when you claim someone is racist, or has racial motives behind any negative comment towards a person of color.

• Anonymouson Jan 25, 2016 12:43 pm

The guy he is playing is suppose to be early 20’s. I read 10 pages of the script and it doesn’t sound to good. I don’t know if the whole show will be about his background but he comes from the ghetto and his brother is a drug dealer. As a black guy myself. Its sad that people think we all come from the ghetto. Also, I agree he doesn’t fit the part at all, Nothing about him says military. And I seen SOC. It wasn’t good nor was he.

• Pilot Readeron Jan 25, 2016 1:35 pm

I read the pilot. You are way off, Brother.

• huggiebearismeon Jan 25, 2016 1:59 pm

Thank you for answering my questions. What I’ve heard of the reboot doesn’t make me excited to see it.

• Logan Bellon Jan 25, 2016 3:01 pm

I admit I didn’t get a chance to read it all like Pilot Reader. However, from what I heard around the office. they are just hoping they can generate black ratings like empire. I am not a fan of empire. So people may not like what I have to say. The creators of 24 specifically wanted to change 24 so people would stop talking about Kiefer. Thats why they aren’t doing an xmen show for FOX this year.

• Logan Bellon Jan 25, 2016 3:24 pm

Right now he is suppose to be an army ranger who returns home, so it may be a deceit show, I don’t know. I prefer to have Kiefer back but he has his own pilot on ABC now. So I suggest everyone just give it a chance if your a 24 fan. They may surprise us.

• JCon Jan 25, 2016 2:59 pm

Do you know anything about the female lead character? Thanks.

• Logan Bellon Jan 25, 2016 3:21 pm

From the 10 pages I read. I believe the characters name is Rebecca who just got promoted. I don’t think she will be over 40 years old the way the script sounded. But again I didn’t get a chance to read it all so I could be wrong.

• JCon Jan 25, 2016 7:41 pm

Thanks a lot.

• Carolineon Jan 26, 2016 10:11 am

I agree that too many black roles lead people to think most black people live in a ghetto and are involved with drugs. I first thought, no one can replace Jack Bauer. But with a whole new cast, I think this can be a great show. We just can’t compare the two. Give this one a chance.

• HTTRon Jan 25, 2016 3:07 pm

He’s 28 years old so he is age cast perfectly as a returning vet…

• Anonymouson Jan 25, 2016 4:19 pm

The DMV is proud of Corey… couldnt have happened to a better person. #GodIsGood #LetHatersHate

2. aaqib khan (@kaaqib58)on Jan 25, 2016 12:23 pm

tired of these reboots and PC casting

• kimon Jan 25, 2016 12:38 pm

What do you mean by PC casting?

• CWon Jan 25, 2016 1:23 pm

Take a wild guess…

• nerdrageon Jan 25, 2016 1:43 pm

He’s black. But a white actor would have the same dilemma: he’s not Kiefer Sutherland.

• nateon Jan 25, 2016 3:19 pm

bingo.

• Robert J.on Jan 25, 2016 2:04 pm

‘PC casting’ is the term that racists use to pass-agg grouse about the slow diminution of the industry-standard ‘white man’ norm.

• Chaka Khanon Jan 25, 2016 2:22 pm

He means that all roles, by definition, belong to straight white men and permission must be sought if there is to be any deviation. Applications must be made with documentation showing the justification, after all, a straight white man might not get a job he was entirely entitled to and this must be fully investigated prior to any hasty decisions being made.

• Nope.on Jan 25, 2016 1:32 pm

You are an idiot. And by you using the term PC (politically correct) proves it even more. Google the term, Brainiac.

• TraciWellingtonon Jan 25, 2016 1:44 pm

Yeah cause only white folks can act. GTFOH! You don’t have to watch. No one will miss you Adolf.

3. Jinjeonon Jan 25, 2016 12:26 pm

Get either Sharon Stone or Demi Moore for female lead. I’d suggest Sigourney Weaver but she’s too good of an actress to play second fiddle to anyone.

• JCon Jan 25, 2016 12:56 pm

All of them are way too old.

• Jinjeonon Jan 25, 2016 1:40 pm

Are you sure? “24: Legacy will have a strong female lead, a woman with a long history at the agency and former head of CTU.” Seems like she has to be at least forty years old.

• JCon Jan 25, 2016 3:03 pm

I doubt it. IMO she has to be at least mid thirties and will carry half the weight of the action scenes since they’ve said she and Eric will be equals in carrying the brunt of the show.

• Pilot Readeron Jan 25, 2016 4:37 pm

Um, a 40 + year old woman can keep up with a 28 – 30 year old man. All day. Every day.

• JCon Jan 25, 2016 12:57 pm

All of those choices are way too old.

• nerdrageon Jan 25, 2016 1:43 pm

Katee Sackhoff then.

• JCon Jan 25, 2016 3:01 pm

Already on 24 and killed off.

4. WMXon Jan 25, 2016 12:38 pm

That’s awesome. I’m happy for Corey.

5. Sabson Jan 25, 2016 12:39 pm

Oh no, does this mean the end if Heath on WD??

6. William hickeyon Jan 25, 2016 12:46 pm

Oh by the way bad idea for Corey Hawkins

7. Jeffon Jan 25, 2016 12:47 pm

No Jack Bauer = No interest

• HTTRon Jan 25, 2016 3:09 pm

I would agree without – I was a HUGE jack Bauer fan and Keifer was perfect int hr role – until the miniseries disaster. They should have ended the series before that or brought in a new lead – except for Chloe, that was unwatchable and terrible way to end a series.

8. Anonymouson Jan 25, 2016 12:51 pm

This guy was great in Compton… Huge get.

9. Pilot Readeron Jan 25, 2016 12:57 pm

I read the pilot and it is dope. Great casting.

10. Anonymouson Jan 25, 2016 1:00 pm

“24:The Next Generation”
    Without Jack and Chloe there is no 24.

11. True Storyon Jan 25, 2016 1:05 pm

This kid is great! Duke Ellington in the house!!! Another DC son getting it done.

12. Anonymouson Jan 25, 2016 1:16 pm

Good young actor…bad career move. Kiefer Sutherland WAS 24.

• cadavraon Jan 25, 2016 4:58 pm

Isn’t “bad career move” what people told Sutherland when it was announced he would be doing a TV series?

13. Anonymouson Jan 25, 2016 1:19 pm

This is fantastic. Let’s just hope they write it well and not let it slide down the hill like they did Empire.

14. nerdrageon Jan 25, 2016 1:42 pm

Good luck, kid. This will be a tough assignment since 24 was so tied to Jack Bauer. It’ll be like replacing Mulder & Scully in the X-Files…

15. JJon Jan 25, 2016 1:48 pm

Interesting if not odd choice. I’m glad they’re bringing the show back with a new cast and a new lead but I wouldn’t expected someone that looks more like a federal agent. He’s young and not exactly the most handsome and he doesn’t even look gritty or dangerous. I’m not seeing how he’s going to be a strong lead.

BJ Britt would’ve been a great/better choice.

• Nettie Lynch-Kelleron Jan 27, 2016 4:20 pm

Not handsome? Sutherland was great in that role but handsome? Whatever the aging process didnt do to his looks, the alcohol problem took care of rest. Define handsome please?

• huggiebearismeon Jan 27, 2016 10:43 pm

I agree with you on this Nettie. What made Keifer work as Jack wasn’t that he was handsome, it was that he looked intimidating when he was screaming at someone to “give me the name!” This isn’t James Bond, where he’s going under cover & has to look suave & bedding women left & right. The problem I have is that Corey doesn’t look intimidating to me. I think those years of alcohol abuse on Keifer helped him on 24 because it made the character look more intimidating. Corey doesn’t have that. That’s good for his health & life in general, but not so great for a character that’s going to be saving the world like Jack Bauer.

And Nettie, look above to my reply to your comment about “he looks young” being about race.

16. chrison Jan 25, 2016 1:59 pm

It is an outrage that 24 is not continuing on with Yvonne Strahovski in the lead. She was fantastic in 24 Live Another Day. This proves that Hollywood would have a Black Jack Bauer before a female Jack Bauer. Racism might be ending in Hollywood, but sexism is going strong.

17. Andreaon Jan 25, 2016 2:09 pm

No Jack? NO WAY!

18. Tonyaon Jan 25, 2016 2:41 pm

I would really LOVE to see Donnie Keshawarz (he was in S2) as a recurring guest or apart of the cast. Either way I would be very HAPPY!

19. Lynon Jan 25, 2016 3:34 pm

I don’t care who plays the role, I just hope that they do a good job because I love 24 and its legacy is important.

20. crazyrabbitson Jan 25, 2016 3:39 pm

Considering that Live Another Day ended on a cliffhanger (one which the extra epilogue on the Blu-Ray set went out of its way to address and make a sequel hook out of it), I call bullshit that we’re not going to see former cast members (especially Jack) eventually show up in this. They said the exact same thing during Season 4, and it started with just Jack and Chloe but quickly brought back a large chunk of the surviving cast back into the fold by the midway point.

Hate to say it, but I don’t see this pilot going anywhere, and I watched the original show religiously.

21. Anonymouson Jan 25, 2016 3:54 pm

Totally the wrong way to go. Fox is hoping to retain the 24 audience with new characters? I would’ve focused on a strong female lead, around the character Kate Morgan (Yevonne Strahovski) from 2014s Live Another Day with her search to find Jack Bauer or at the very least just her. I thought that was the direction the show was in. Then it ties the new 24 to the old one. You guys don’t talk to the fans enough that’s the problem.

22. Aaron Kosminskion Jan 25, 2016 3:58 pm

“Coming from a very rough background” NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. Stop making every black character someone who “escaped the ghetto” and “managed to turn their life around”. Black people are just people. They come from all kinds of different backgrounds. They have a wide variety of experiences. But what do we always get: ex-con/former athlete/ ‘naturally’ talented blah, blah, blah.

Dear writers: next time your character is “conceived as African American” go to The Grove; stop the first black person you see and if their name is Darnell and they moved to LA after their basketball/football career didn’t pan out to be closer to their mother who was in jail for selling crack after her baby daddy died in a drug deal gone wrong then you can keep writing about black people who come from “very rough backgrounds”. Otherwise, start over.

23. William hickeyon Jan 25, 2016 4:10 pm

I want keifer Sutherland back right now not Corey Hawkins he was unfit for black hero we want jack Bauer NOW or else I’ll scream AHHH

24. Anonymouson Jan 25, 2016 4:27 pm

I feel sorry for the actor who is so deperate as to flyon some one elses coattails. Hope this rip-off dies a quick death.

25. 5eyeson Jan 25, 2016 4:35 pm

Ohhhhhh good. Pandering to the PC crowd. Broadcast TV is destined to become AM radio, only the TV channels won’t be all Mexican music stations like AM radio – they’ll be black reboots of All in The Family, I Dream of Jeannie, and Gilligan’s Island. Great.

• Kingdom of the Blindon Jan 25, 2016 5:00 pm

By “pandering to the PC crowd” it is clear you mean “how dare they not cast a straight white man!”

• Brooks Alexanderon Jan 25, 2016 8:31 pm

It is “clear” only to your PC-addleed brain. What he meant by “pandering to the PC crowd” is simply choosing a black actor for his blackness and for the “statement” it makes, instead of for his talent and/or suitability for the part.

• Anonymouson Jan 26, 2016 12:23 am

Thank you, Brooks. That’s how I read it, also.

Load More Comments