EXCLUSIVE: Common has been drafted to join Kate Mara and Edie Falco in Leavey, the LD Entertainment film about Megan Leavey and her military combat dog Rex who saved lives searching for roadside bombs during two tours in Iraq from 2004 to 2006. The film is being directed by Blackfish‘s Gabriela Cowperthwaite. LD Entertainment will finance, as it did with the upcoming films Risen and Anthropoid. Common, who won an Oscar for Selma, will play the role of Sgt. Gunney Massey, the Gunnery Sergeant in charge of the kennels at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton. The script is by Pamela Gray, Annie Mumolo, and Tim Lovestedt and Jordan Roberts. Mara plays Leavey. Common will next be seen in the Warner Bros/D.C. Comics launch Suicide Squad with Will Smith and Jared Leto , and will star opposite Keanu Reeves in John Wick 2. He recently wrapped Barbershop 3. He is represented by CAA, manager Derek Dudley and attorney David Fox.
Common Joins Kate Mara, Edie Falco In Iraq War Drama ‘Leavey’
What's Hot on Deadline
'Pacific Rim Uprising' Takes No. 1 With $23M+; 'Black Panther' Best Marvel Title Ever At Domestic B.O., Beating 'Avengers'
Latest Film News
- ‘Billions’ Actor David Costabile To Play Doc McGhee In ‘The Dirt’
- Arnon Milchan & Regency Countersued For Fraud Over Warren Beatty’s ‘Rules Don’t Apply’
- ‘Scandal’s Darby Stanchfield & Daisy Prescott Cast In ‘Justine’
- Tiffany Haddish Will Give Voice To ‘Lego Movie’ Sequel Character
- ‘Hunter Killer,’ Starring Gerard Butler & Gary Oldman, Pegged For October Release
- Female Directors Scorecard: Sony’s ‘Barbie,’ ‘Charlie’s Angels’ And More