Despite the huzzah of Wednesday’s “Back to the Future day” for Universal, sources tell Deadline that there aren’t any plans by the studio or director Robert Zemeckis to reboot or remake the franchise in the near future.
Zemeckis is notorious for not wanting to make the same picture twice.
One person in the Zemeckis camp said today, “The film can’t happen without his approval, and he doesn’t want to do a remake or a redo.” Another Uni insider verified that there have been no talks in regards to revamping the beloved series by either the studio, producer Steven Spielberg or Zemeckis. Back in June, the Oscar-winning director told the UK Telegraph that in regards to rebooting the Back To The Future trilogy onscreen, “That can’t happen until both Bob (Gale) and I are dead. And then I’m sure they’ll do it, unless there’s a way our estates can stop it.”
That’s a real bummer considering that Wednesday’s 30th anniversary celebration, conceived by Universal’s Home Entertainment division, was a huge success on many levels: 21M people talked reminisced about it on Facebook, the trilogy re-release in theaters made $4.8M worldwide Wednesday with Christopher Lloyd’s special message about the day racking up 1.7M views on YouTube. In some ways, the anniversary came off as a litmus test in terms of how popular the Back To The Future franchise still is.
October 21, 2015, marked the time when Doc Brown (Christopher Lloyd) zoomed Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) years ahead in 1989’s Back to the Future II. Earlier this year, Uni posted the studio’s highest-grossing movie of all-time when it rebooted its Jurassic Park series with Jurassic World, making over $1.67B. That film, also a Spielberg production, became the third-biggest ever at both the worldwide and stateside B.O. ($651.5M) behind James Cameron’s Avatar ($760.5M domestic, $2.8B global) and Titanic ($658.7M domestic, $2.19B global).