“Fox News Chairman & CEO Roger Ailes and Donald Trump spoke this morning and plan to have a meeting next week to discuss their differences of opinion regarding Fox’s coverage of Mr. Trump’s presidential campaign,” Fox News Channel just said in a statement.

Donald Trump Roger Ailes 2-shot“Ailes will be joined by senior Fox editorial executives.,” it said. “Mr. Trump believes he has been treated unfairly in certain instances. Fox News has held every candidate in this race to the highest journalistic standards throughout our coverage. We believe a candid meeting about our differences is required and that any misunderstandings can be handled without compromising those standards.”

Trump this week launched another Twitter tirade against the cable news network on which he once was a frequent guest, savaging FNC for its coverage of him and his presidential race.

On Wednesday night, he blasted the network for a contributor’s description of Carly Fiorina having “cut off his balls with the precision of a surgeon” during CNN’s recent GOP debate. National Review’s Rich Lowry’s graphic description of the GOP debate was delivered on Megyn Kelly’s primetime show. Kelly seemed ambushed by the comment,  responding: “What did you just say? You can’t say that.”

Trump thought so too:

(The FCC does not have the authority to fine cable networks; it can fine broadcast TV stations.)

Image (2) fox-news-logo__140318182135-275x259.jpg for post 700725FNC’s statement this morning comes on day after the network called Trump’s announcement he would no longer appear on the network and his attacks on Kelly and The O’Reilly Factor “stale and tiresome.” Trump “doesn’t seem to grasp that candidates telling journalists what to ask is not how the media works in this country,” FNC said Wednesday after the network canceled Trump’s scheduled appearance on The O’Reilly Factor that had been set for tonight. That had resulted in Trump’s announcement he was boycotting FNC.