‘A.D. The Bible Continues’ Over: There Will Be No Season 2 On NBC

a-d-the-bible-continues

A.D. The Bible Continues will not be continuing. NBC is not commenting, but it is understood that the network has opted not to go forward with a second installment of Mark Burnett and Roma Downey’s follow-up to their blockbuster miniseries The Bible. I hear the cast has been informed of the decision.

Given the success of The Bible and Burnett’s track record, while A.D. was initially announced as an event series, it had been envisioned as a potentially continuing franchise. In April, ahead of the series’ Easter debut, Burnett told Deadline that writers already were working on scripts for Season 2. That may now happen on another platform.

After an OK start with virtually no lead-in — a 2.3 Live+Same Day rating in 18-49 and 9.5 million total viewers — A.D.‘s numbers quickly fell off, and the biblical drama ended its 12-episode run with a 0.7 demo rating in Live+SD for its final two installments. A.D. joins time-slot mate American Odyssey, which also was recently cancelled after one season.

Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy

105 Comments

1. Jinjeonon Jul 3, 2015 12:07 pm

Thank god.

• Bobon Jul 6, 2015 12:30 pm

2. Hmmmmmm.....on Jul 3, 2015 12:08 pm

Unlike original programming, we all know how the story ends.

• Sir Prizeon Jul 3, 2015 1:16 pm

Spoiler Alert!

• sheila williamson Jul 6, 2015 7:19 pm

it hasn’t ended my friend

• Waltsicleon Jul 7, 2015 10:47 am

Yeah, the fairy tale continues…

• Anonymouson Jul 7, 2015 7:34 pm

Seriously ? A fairy tale ? Better watch it

• Anonymouson Jul 15, 2015 1:11 pm

If religion is a fairy tale of those afraid of the dark, then atheism is a fairy tale of those afraid of THE LIGHT! (& silly people that think something can come from nothing- highliy unlikely)

3. Mark Ahrenson Jul 3, 2015 12:43 pm

Praying the producers can find a home for Season 2 on another network. As a Christian, this was a highly engaging series that brought the first 10 chapters of the Book of ACTS to life and brought great insight into life post-Resurrection for the new followers of Jesus. Great production values and acting on this show too!

• MAKon Jul 3, 2015 2:33 pm

You’re kidding, right? The show was pure amateur night from the first installment. Imagine what they are now doing with the BEN-HUR remake.

• MexyMartinion Jul 3, 2015 6:25 pm

Yes, it is pablum. Hollywood Jesus stuff, in the worst way.

• sheila williamson Jul 6, 2015 7:26 pm

Did you watch it?

• Anonymouson Jul 7, 2015 7:36 pm

No he’s obviously not kidding , my family watched the whole series and it is great , it’s people like you that want to degrade a decent program , don’t watch it if you don’t like it

• Anonymouson Jul 15, 2015 1:06 pm

The production quality was excellent. The costumes, acting were amazing. I know some people argued if every scene was 100% Biblically or historically
          accurate (which is expected)

• Anonymouson Jul 3, 2015 3:04 pm

I thought it was well made. Love the actors. Hopefully it will be picked up.

• Anonymouson Jul 3, 2015 3:06 pm

Loved loved this show!

• Anonymouson Jul 4, 2015 7:25 pm

Best show I’ve seen all year. of course with our tragic demise in the US perhaps people fear seeing History repeat.

• MexyMartinion Jul 5, 2015 6:26 am

Terrible show, dumbed down for its audience. It’s like a shampoo commercial for mega churches.

• Anonymouson Jul 7, 2015 7:37 pm

Go have a bother martini , what do you know ,,

• Anonymouson Jul 3, 2015 3:25 pm

I thought it was well made. I couldn’t wait till the next season.

• Deon Jul 9, 2015 10:17 am

Mark I totally agree. The was the best production and most accurate telling of the Bible I have ever seen. I would actually pick up my Bible and read the parts of the story they were talking about and I would go more into detail for my friend how has been in church all of her life but is just now really getting into the word of God and putting on the whole armor.

• Anonymouson Jul 14, 2015 7:25 pm

absolutely agree!!

• verajay59on Jul 26, 2015 5:15 pm

i loved this show. and watched it every sunday. i enjoyed watching black actors mingeling with the white characters as biblical characters. i dont have cable,so i hope it can come on a analog channel. i really miss this. or promote the new season on dvds cause i will buy ti.

4. Joeon Jul 3, 2015 1:31 pm

Another NBC drama that bites the dust!

5. Anonymouson Jul 3, 2015 3:06 pm

So sad.

6. Sage on the Hudsonon Jul 3, 2015 3:31 pm

Not continuing! It is the End of Days!

7. Judy Lamppuon Jul 3, 2015 3:48 pm

I’m not surprised at a network (NBC) taking advantage of any excuse to dump anything Christian/religious. They don’t really love that sort of thing. I expect it to continue on another platform and probably will do well.

• Anonymouson Jul 3, 2015 4:47 pm

Excuse? Its ratings were an abomination and it also managed to sink American Odyssey with its awful lead in. It won’t do well on another platform and won’t be on another platform.

• Ianon Jul 4, 2015 6:01 pm

Are you actually implying American Odyssey had any chance of survival?

• Anonymouson Jul 7, 2015 7:38 pm

Sorry to disappoint you but it’s already been reassigned, hahaha

• MexyMartinion Jul 3, 2015 6:26 pm

That is a ludicrous assumption. It is all about ratings. If it had done well, there would be a second season.

• Juanon Jul 3, 2015 6:36 pm

Back when Letterman was on NBC, GE execs were notoriously Catholic. You can see those remnants today especially on their cable networks.
      They were smart to take it from The History Channel for the Passion & the Ressurection. Christmas & Easter are the most attended Church days after all.
      They were stupid to not give it back to The History Channel afterwards. The Apostles are not more beloved than St Paul on the other days.
      HC viewers care about the lesser stories of The Bible a lot more than NBC viewers do. If they can get the costs down to HC levels I expect The Bible to continue there.

• Travis Speakon Jul 3, 2015 8:38 pm

How can you say that about the network that decided to pay for and air the series in the first place? What were you saying about NBC when you heard they picked it up? “Oh, typical anti-Christian network, picks up a Biblical series and gives it a cushy Sunday night slot just so the heathens can laugh as it fails!” Spare us the fake persecution propaganda.

More people watched reruns on other channels than this show. No series survives that, even Community got dropped in the end.

• Anonymouson Jul 3, 2015 10:12 pm

wow you’ve got quite an imagination.

• Leah Doneron Jul 5, 2015 3:56 pm

You’re saying he’s imagining that this show was cancelled for poor ratings?

• Alexon Jul 4, 2015 1:43 am

Judy: I’m curious to know if you have any connection to the TV/film industry. It’s okay if you don’t. But, you may want to educate yourself about ratings before claiming that this move is anything other than a reaction to anemic ratings.

• Judy Lamppuon Jul 4, 2015 10:33 am

I may for any reason at all, claim anything I choose, under any circumstances – as long as I “don’t go off topic, don’t impersonate anyone, and don’t get the facts as I see them, wrong.

• alexon Jul 5, 2015 2:48 am

I’ll take that as a “no”.

• Luciaon Jul 4, 2015 10:45 am

I think NBC lost its way but lets face it – they also canned Hannibal the polar opposite of AD. NBC needs to get back to the kind of programming that solidified them – the great book based miniseries, solid dramas and sitcoms that didn’t come off like they were written by a high school kid.

• Anonymouson Jul 14, 2015 11:21 pm

Absolutely agree! My husband & I loved the mini series, very much hope it can continue !!

8. nerdrageon Jul 3, 2015 4:39 pm

What?!? I’m not at all religious, but the story of early Christians is just a dang good story (trying to curb my tongue here lol). You have this despised and hunted band of underdogs who somehow manage to subvert the greatest empire the world has ever known. How the heck is that not a great story? Netflix, this is your cue.

• Thank you, Mark & Roma !on Jul 5, 2015 12:04 pm

It IS a dang good story. Ragtag handful of fishermen, tax collectors, and other assorted nobodies take on not only the powerful prevailing government but the powerful prevailing religious institution. C’mon, Netflix, History Channel, NBC. . . .

• sheila williamson Jul 6, 2015 7:25 pm

Iagree. I saw the Bible A.D. as a great history and political story–not a Christian story.My jewish friends and I had a great time discussing detais that wre
        too complicated to add in the script for television.

9. Juanon Jul 3, 2015 4:56 pm

NBC was smart to pick up The Bible for The Passion including the Ressurection. They were stupid to keep it past that. It still carries it’s Catholic roots from it’s GE days so they should’ve been aware that outside of Christmas & Easter you rarely will see a full church these days.

It’s best they go back to The History Channel. Those patrons are far more interested in seeing early Christians fed to lions.

• Anonymouson Jul 7, 2015 7:42 pm

If you complaining bunch of anti Christian libs don’t like it then turn the channel !!! You do own remotes don’t you , geez shut it

10. carlon Jul 3, 2015 8:52 pm

not surprising the networks are always cancelling good shows to make room for junk.

• Bill blankenshipon Jul 4, 2015 12:07 am

not surprising, the networks are always cancelling shows NO ONE IS WATCHING to make room for ANYTHING ELSE.

• Anonymouson Jul 14, 2015 11:25 pm

AMEN !

11. scramon Jul 3, 2015 9:30 pm

Combine HANNIBAL with A.D. THE BIBLE CONTINUES, and I would watch it in a heartbeat!!!

• godspellon Jul 3, 2015 9:48 pm

“I ate her liver with some passover bread and a nice glass of water turned into wine.”

• scramon Jul 4, 2015 8:35 am

Awesome!

12. Alex S.on Jul 3, 2015 10:18 pm

I’m not really invested in the show myself, but for those who are I’m wondering if it couldn’t be resurrected on History Channel. After all, isn’t that where the original aired, to stellar ratings? NBC — especially Bob Greenblatt’s NBC — always struck me as an odd fit.

13. Thank you, Mark & Roma !on Jul 3, 2015 11:16 pm

I’m disappointed. The scripts were good, and the acting was excellent. Woo, I
    relished the Caiaphas and Pilate drama. I especially appreciated that Jesus’ disciples were shown as hesitant and human. Too often Sunday School makes them out to be superheroes, when they were really just ordinary guys who let Jesus transform their lives.

• Anonymouson Jul 5, 2015 11:48 am

Excellent points!

14. stanon Jul 3, 2015 11:43 pm

It would of found a bigger audience if it was produced better

15. Anonymouson Jul 4, 2015 6:47 am

I loved it! I want more! Vic

16. V. Lenneon Jul 4, 2015 7:59 am

It was sappy and soapy.

17. Bibleon Jul 4, 2015 9:28 am

What was the Bible trying to convey? Was it historical, religious, factual, ….
    The Bible as written demonstrates mankind, left to their own ways, cannot restrain sin, the need for a saviour, and the answer found in Christian Jesus.
    Does the show portray this? Poorly.
    Is it provacative enough to make man think?
    Perhaps..
    Is it critically correct.. no.
    Is it better than nothing

18. pretzelcuatlon Jul 4, 2015 9:57 am

Can they cancel the book, too?

• Judy Lamppuon Jul 4, 2015 12:13 pm

Bet they would if they could.- :)-:)

• Waltsicleon Jul 7, 2015 10:52 am

The steady advancement of human intelligence and enlightenment has already set that process in motion. Stay Tuned.

19. meyouon Jul 4, 2015 12:10 pm

Watched the first episode of The Bible, then heard Mark and Roma exclaim how much they “loved” Barak Obama. Decided to avoid the rest of their productions…we cannot serve two masters.

• Judy Lamppuon Jul 4, 2015 4:30 pm

Now that I did not know. How do they love Obama and honor Christianity the way they do. This does not compute. Very disappointing.

• MexyMartinion Jul 5, 2015 6:32 am

Why are you on a professional film industry site? You do realize, that comments such as those, just make us more determined to eradicate such ignorance? The Tea Party has never understood, that the more they bemoan their bizarre, right-winger world with its racist, homophobic underpinnings, the more everyone else is energized to change the world for the better.

Jesus isn’t a Republican, FYI. And most of our “Founding Fathers” had religious opinions that’d curl your toes.

• Judy Lamppuon Jul 6, 2015 9:22 am

Yes, I’m aware that most of Hollywood is left-wing liberal in it’s ideology and that those of us leaning to the right have, in such thinking, no right to be on a professional “industry” site such as this. That’s because you are the “tolerant” ones who welcome everybody and diversity – but only if it agrees with your thinking.

• Waltsicleon Jul 7, 2015 10:57 am

Personally, I love it when these delusional sheep show up on Deadline. It reminds me of how such moronic films and TV programs (like Jesus 901210 here) get created and find an audience in people who believe in things like Noah’s Ark, talking serpents, and magic apples. If the aliens want to know what ever happened to us, they won’t have to look much further than these idiots and their worship of a storybook fantasy and the blood that it has spilled over centuries.

• meyouon Jul 6, 2015 11:22 am

Judy, Roma said it when the photo of their “Satan” was compared to Obama; she said, oh no, we loooove President Obama! You might (still)find it on Youtube.

20. Anonymouson Jul 4, 2015 12:49 pm

That is such sad news…. I pray it will be picked up by History Channel, A&E, or even Netflix.

21. Anonymouson Jul 4, 2015 2:47 pm

This was a great show.. I love it…

22. jackie oshinskieon Jul 4, 2015 5:54 pm

My family and I really enjoyed the show. It was great to see the bible come alive with the human emotion. Even though we “know how it ends” that does not take away the thrill of seeing it come to life on screen. I hope that the show continues and I know lot’s of other people who feel the same way.

23. Anonymouson Jul 5, 2015 4:52 am

Loved the show. Hope it comes back, even if on different channel I will watch.

24. Anonymouson Jul 5, 2015 5:44 am

Great production and acting. I was so pleased that a major TV station was airing the program. I guess they must have been bullied by those who think care more about money and than turning this country back to the Christian values it was built on. I hope it will be aired by someone who really cares about the USA.

25. Anonymouson Jul 5, 2015 11:07 am

Maybe ya’ll can find you a silly stupid show or another reailty show with people running around naked or maybe a soap with some sex in it. Try reading the bible maybe it won’t offend you so much.

Load More Comments