He may not be psychically solving crimes on CBS’ The Mentalist any more, but Simon Baker is taking his career to the next level with his feature directing debut Breath, in which he will also star. The film is based on the dramatic thriller novel by Tim Winton and follows the lives of two adventurous teenage boys and their unlikely bond with a reclusive older surfer and his enigmatic wife. Baker will play the elder wave runner Sando. Baker says he quickly took to the book when it was sent his way by producer Mark Johnson, transporting him back to his youth as a surfer. Baker has been on the Croisette before, but as an actor promoting films. However, his first time at the market was a rather different experience. As he says in our DeadlineNow video, he’s more in his skin talking to a grip on a film set, than at the auctioneer block under the Palais. Screen Australia is funding Breath. Arclight Films is handling sales. Production begins this fall.
Simon Baker Trades His ‘Mentalist’ Cap For That Of Film Director With ‘Breath’ – Cannes Video
What's Hot on Deadline
'Pacific Rim: Uprising' Doesn't Create Waves At $26M+; 'Black Panther' Sets Marvel Record & Beats 'Avengers'
Latest Video News
- ‘Into The Badlands’ Debuts Season 3 Trailer; Cast & Creator Talk Show’s Inclusivity – Wondercon
- Roseanne Barr Plays Donald Trump Card, Warning Jimmy Kimmel Alternative Is Mike Pence
- ‘I’m Dying Up Here’ Season 2 Trailer: It’s Not All Laughs In The 1970s L.A. Stand-Up Scene
- Jimmy Fallon And Will Smith Perform History Of Sitcom Theme Songs
- ‘Sherlock Gnomes’ Review: It’s No Mystery Why This Lazy Animated Sequel Is Just For Kids
- Indican Pictures Acquires U.S. Rights To ‘Jet Trash’ Featuring Sofia Boutella