He may not be psychically solving crimes on CBS’ The Mentalist any more, but Simon Baker is taking his career to the next level with his feature directing debut Breath, in which he will also star. The film is based on the dramatic thriller novel by Tim Winton and follows the lives of two adventurous teenage boys and their unlikely bond with a reclusive older surfer and his enigmatic wife. Baker will play the elder wave runner Sando. Baker says he quickly took to the book when it was sent his way by producer Mark Johnson, transporting him back to his youth as a surfer. Baker has been on the Croisette before, but as an actor promoting films. However, his first time at the market was a rather different experience. As he says in our DeadlineNow video, he’s more in his skin talking to a grip on a film set, than at the auctioneer block under the Palais. Screen Australia is funding Breath. Arclight Films is handling sales. Production begins this fall.
Simon Baker Trades His ‘Mentalist’ Cap For That Of Film Director With ‘Breath’ – Cannes Video
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Last Jedi' Now Opening To $219M+: How Disney Continues To Win With The 'Star Wars' Franchise - Update
Harvey Weinstein Again Denies Blackballing Actresses: Says He Wanted Ashley Judd For 'Good Will Hunting'
Latest Video News
- ‘Molly’s Game’ Review: Jessica Chastain Powers Aaron Sorkin’s Sensational Directorial Debut
- ‘Gunpowder’ Review: Kit Harington Miniseries Solid Shot For ‘Game Of Thrones’ Star’s Future
- Getting To The Heart Of ‘Coco’ – The Contenders Video
- ‘The Shape Of Water’s’ Guillermo Del Toro Ranks His Favorite Del Toro Films, But Says “I Would Die For Each Of My 10 Movies”…
- Facebook To Test Pre-Roll Ads On Videos Starting Next Month
- Clothes Make The Characters In ‘Phantom Thread’ – The Contenders Video