After winning the Un Certain Regard Jury Prize in Cannes and going on to strong box office, great word of mouth and making the Foreign Language Oscar shortlist in December, Swedish helmer Ruben Ostlund’s Force Majeure was shockingly omitted from the Academy’s nominations roster on Thursday. Today, Ostlund good-naturedly posted the video above to YouTube in which he watches the nominations with producer Erik Hemmendorff from New York — while eating apples, questioning the familiar nominee faces, and predicting those in his category. The outcome is not exactly that of 2012’s Time Freak team who captured their nomination live to much positive emotion — but it kind of looks like that was the point. I understand Ostlund sent today’s video to Force Majeure‘s partners with a cheeky suggestion it might be a good addition to the film’s Facebook page. It apparently came with the subject line: “Worst Man Cry.” That’s a reference to a scene in the comedy/drama that poses existential questions about manhood in an Alpine ski resort and in which lead Johannes Kuhnke sobs in front of his wife. That scene was itself inspired by a YouTube video which Kuhnke and Ostlund previously discussed here, giving this a sort of full-circle feel.
‘Force Majeure’s Ruben Ostlund Does “Worst Man Cry” Over Oscar Snub – Video
What's Hot on Deadline
Jimmy Kimmel Defends Florida Students Under Attack From Far Right Wingnuts Ted Nugent, Donald Trump Jr.
Latest Film News
- Gravitas Ventures Grabs ‘Bieber Generation’ Docu; Freestyle Digital Media Acquires ‘Live Or Die In La Honda…
- The 16-Year Journey To Release For Duncan Jones And ‘Mute’ – Q&A
- ‘Goosebumps 2’: Madison Iseman, Ben O'Brien, Caleel Harris & Jeremy Ray Taylor Set As Leads
- Skydance Media Taps ‘Tangled’s Nathan Greno In Multiyear Deal, Will Direct ‘Powerless’
- Global Road Entertainment Acquires Action Thriller ‘Hotel Artemis,’ Ensemble Led By Jodie Foster
- ‘Dunkirk’ Cinematographer Hoyte Van Hoytema On Christopher Nolan’s Visceral Approach To Cinema