Chilina Kennedy, who played Mary Magdalene in Des McAnuff’s Stratford-to-Broadway transfer of Jesus Christ Superstar, is set to take over for Tony winner Jessie Mueller in Beautiful — The Carole King Musical. Mueller, who along with the biomusical got a big thumbs up from the “You’ve Got A Friend” writer, departs after the March 6 show. Kennedy begins the next day at the Stephen Sondheim Theatre, where the bio-cum-hit-parade has regularly been selling out since opening last year. A veteran of Canada’s Stratford Festival and the Toronto theater and cabaret scenes, Kennedy has also appeared in Gotham productions of Kiss Me, Kate and The Grapes Of Wrath.
Broadway’s Carole King Role Goes To ‘Superstar’s Mary Magdalene
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Business News
- 21st Century Fox CEO James Murdoch Donates $1M To ADL: “Standing Up To Nazis Is Essential”
- Ryan Kavanaugh Sued For Fraud By Relativity Investor
- Disney Extends Terms For Four Top Execs Ahead Of Bob Iger’s 2019 Exit
- Is Bob Iger Fed Up With One Of Disney’s Most Vigorous Wall Street Critics?
- Esai Morales Threatens Election Fraud Complaint If “Petty Politics” Continue At SAG-AFTRA
- Lionsgate Taps WB Exec To Streamline Biz After Starz Buy