Sony Pictures is adding to security for Thursday’s red-carpet premiere of The Interview in the wake of the recent cyber attack against the studio. “Security is always a concern at premieres, and this is certainly no different,” said a Sony official today. “We will have appropriate security at the premiere.” According to the LAPD, four off-duty officers have been added to the security team for the premiere at the Ace Hotel’s palatial theater in downtown Los Angeles.
A police spokesperson told Deadline the LAPD itself “is not doing anything” to safeguard the premiere.
No one knows for sure who is behind the hack attack, but speculation has focused on agents of North Korea. An awkwardly worded threat by those claiming to be responsible for the attack didn’t specifically mention The Interview, but warned Sony to “Stop immediately showing the movie of terrorism which can break regional peach and cause the War!” The Interview, which stars Seth Rogen and James Franco, is a comedy about a bumbling plot to assassinate North Korean dictator Kim Jung-Un.
CNN reported today it had “learned the code used in the attack was written in Korean and had previously been used in attacks on South Korea.” (Amit Yoran, former National Cybersecurity director, told CNN, “It’s important to realize, depending on how sophisticated your adversary is, they may be routing attacks through a certain country, or they may be using known attacks from a certain language code base to throw your attribution thoughts off.”)
The presence at the premiere tomorrow night of half-a-dozen black-and-white squad cars and some bomb-sniffing police dogs might be in order — if for nothing else than to assure those attending the premiere that it’s safe. As for now, some invitees are understandably nervous.
“I’m not looking forward to going to this event,” one guest-to-be tells Deadline.