Sony has debuted a first look at Chappie, the R-rated sci-fi action pic from helmer Neill Blomkamp. The South African director impressed with his indie debut feature District 9, then directed Matt Damon and Jodie Foster in 2013’s No. 1 box office opener Elysium. He returns to a South African setting with Chappie, about a robot (voiced by District 9‘s Sharlto Copley) born into the world able to think and feel for himself. Dev Patel, Hugh Jackman, Sigourney Weaver, and South African rappers Die Antwoord star for Blomkamp, who co-scripted with his District 9 collaborator Terri Tatchell. Sony releases the film on March 6.
‘Chappie’ Teaser: ‘District 9’ Director Unveils Sci-Fi Robot Tale
What's Hot on Deadline
Arnold Schwarzenegger To Trump: "Send An Unequivocal Message That You Won't Stand For Hate And Racism"
After Horrific Summer At Box Office, 'It' Will Bring Life To Fall Marketplace With Potential $60M Opening
Latest Film News
- ‘Marjorie Prime’ Arrives With Awards Hopes; ‘Patti Cake$’ Bows – Specialty B.O. Preview
- Exhibition Stocks Battered On Report Studios Plan PVOD Without A Deal
- Christopher McQuarrie On Why Making Release Date Won’t Be A Mission Impossible Despite Tom Cruise Ankle Break
- Another Presidential Council, This One Focused On The Arts, Quits On Donald Trump
- Gemma Chan Joins ‘Mary Queen Of Scots’ Opposite Saoirse Ronan & Margot Robbie
- ‘Hitman’s Bodyguard’ Takes Out $1.65M; ‘Logan Lucky’ Pulls In $525K – Thursday Night Previews