Sony has debuted a first look at Chappie, the R-rated sci-fi action pic from helmer Neill Blomkamp. The South African director impressed with his indie debut feature District 9, then directed Matt Damon and Jodie Foster in 2013’s No. 1 box office opener Elysium. He returns to a South African setting with Chappie, about a robot (voiced by District 9‘s Sharlto Copley) born into the world able to think and feel for himself. Dev Patel, Hugh Jackman, Sigourney Weaver, and South African rappers Die Antwoord star for Blomkamp, who co-scripted with his District 9 collaborator Terri Tatchell. Sony releases the film on March 6.
‘Chappie’ Teaser: ‘District 9’ Director Unveils Sci-Fi Robot Tale
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Keeps B.O. Treasure From 'Tomb Raider'; How 'I Can Only Imagine' Hit A $17M High Note
Ellen Barkin Says "Never Get Into An Elevator Alone With Terry Gilliam" After His Criticism Of #MeToo Movement
'SNL': Anderson Cooper Addresses White House Firings; John Goodman & Fred Armisen Make Surprise Visits
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
'SNL' Imagines #MeToo Apology Spree By "Canada's Harvey Weinstein," Trots Out Impressions In 'Jurassic Park' Auditions
Latest Film News
- Denzel Washington To Receive New Dramatists’ 2018 Distinguished Achievement Award
- ‘Tomb Raider’ Tops $100M Offshore, Digs Up $41M In China – International Box Office
- 'Flower' Blooms In Trio Of Pots; 'Keep The Change' Solid: Specialty Box Office
- Desilu Exploring U.S. Public Offering After Acquisition Of Israel’s Vonetize
- ‘The Shape Of Water’ Has Fairy Tale $10M+ China Opening; Crosses $100M Overseas
- Paramount’s ‘Dora The Explorer’ Movie Set For Australia Shoot After Tax Break Concession