In the wake of The Conjuring spinoff Annabelle screaming up close to $167M worldwide, Warner Bros. is moving New Line’s sequel The Conjuring 2, out of its Oct. 23, 2015 spot into 2016. In place of Conjuring 2‘s old spot, Warner Bros./New Line will be releasing an untitled horror film on Oct. 23. The first Conjuring was a global success, minting $318M off a $20M production budget. Annabelle, which is currently in release in 52 overseas markets in addition to the U.S./Canada, will unspool Thursday in Mexico. Those horror films in New Line’s wheelhouse which could possibly take over Conjuring 2‘s old Oct. 23 spot are Phil Claydon’s Crawlspace, which stars Bates Motel‘s Michael Vartan as a widower who moves into a seemingly perfect new home with his daughter and new wife, as well as Superstition, the Blumhouse-360 Film production that New Line acquired back in June; its first pickup in eight years. Superstition, directed by first-time helmers Chris Lofing and Travis Cluff, revolves around a family that moves into a house that was once the site of a witch’s execution. Whatever title bows on Oct. 23 next year will have to scare all the girls out of the auditoriums that are playing Universal’s Jem and the Holograms; the only wide release competition at this point in time.
‘Conjuring 2’ Moves To 2016; New Line Sets Untitled Horror Film In October 2015 Spot
What's Hot on Deadline
DC Digital Service To Launch With 'Titans' Series From Greg Berlanti & Akiva Goldsman And 'Young Justice: Outsiders'
Latest Box Office News
- Broadway Review: Allison Janney, Corey Hawkins Lead ‘Six Degrees Of Separation’
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2’: $100M Offshore Bow In The Mix? – International Box Office Preview
- ‘A Chorus Line’ Original Baayork Lee Will Receive Special Tony Award
- ‘Fate Of The Furious’ Fires Up $745M Offshore, $908M WW; Tops ‘Transformers’ In China – International…
- Broadway Review: ‘Anastasia’ Brings An Animated Russian Heroine To Stage Life
- ‘Fate Of The Furious’ Drives Over Five Newcomers With $38.4M; Second Frame Down 61% – Final B.O.