In the wake of The Conjuring spinoff Annabelle screaming up close to $167M worldwide, Warner Bros. is moving New Line’s sequel The Conjuring 2, out of its Oct. 23, 2015 spot into 2016. In place of Conjuring 2‘s old spot, Warner Bros./New Line will be releasing an untitled horror film on Oct. 23. The first Conjuring was a global success, minting $318M off a $20M production budget. Annabelle, which is currently in release in 52 overseas markets in addition to the U.S./Canada, will unspool Thursday in Mexico. Those horror films in New Line’s wheelhouse which could possibly take over Conjuring 2‘s old Oct. 23 spot are Phil Claydon’s Crawlspace, which stars Bates Motel‘s Michael Vartan as a widower who moves into a seemingly perfect new home with his daughter and new wife, as well as Superstition, the Blumhouse-360 Film production that New Line acquired back in June; its first pickup in eight years. Superstition, directed by first-time helmers Chris Lofing and Travis Cluff, revolves around a family that moves into a house that was once the site of a witch’s execution. Whatever title bows on Oct. 23 next year will have to scare all the girls out of the auditoriums that are playing Universal’s Jem and the Holograms; the only wide release competition at this point in time.
‘Conjuring 2’ Moves To 2016; New Line Sets Untitled Horror Film In October 2015 Spot
What's Hot on Deadline
'Westworld' Finale Postmortem: EP Jonathan Nolan On Season 2's Samurai World, Missing Characters & Dr. Ford's Fate
'Fantastic Beasts' Bests $600M WW; 'Moana' Mints $177M; 'Doctor Strange' Ices 'Deadpool', 'Iron Man 2' - Intl Box Office
Alec Baldwin Says Ha! To Donald Trump, While Judd Apatow Calls 'SNL'-Watching Prez-Elect "Terrifying Lunatic"
Latest Box Office News
- Elizabeth Reaser And Josh Radnor Ride Richard Greenberg’s ‘The Babylon Line’ – Review
- Martin Scorsese’s ‘Silence’ Plots January Expansion
- ‘How To Train Your Dragon 3’ Flies To 2019; Uni’s DWA To Scale ‘Everest’
- Post-Thanskgiving Plummet Knocks Stuffing Out Of Broadway Box Office
- ‘Sweet Charity’, Sexism & Critics, Plus ‘Harry Potter And The Cursed Child’ Plots Broadway Landing – Gerard…
- ‘Sweat,’ A Blistering Trump-Era Drama, Sets Broadway Spring Opening