Focus Features just dropped the trailer for Kevin Macdonald’s submarine thriller Black Sea starring Jude Law as a captain who assembles a misfit crew for a treasure hunt. Up for grabs at the bottom of the ocean: An old Nazi U-boat with $182 million — a figure which sounds like it could also be the global box office target for the film based on the historical results of the submarine subgenre (read The Hunt for Red October, $200.5M global B.O; Crimson Tide, $157.4M worldwide and U-571, $127.7M worldwide). The fact is, any kind of drama on a submarine is always a crowdpleaser and Black Sea looks like it has it all: A crew of British and Russian sailors (who are apt to be at odds politically), an expert diver for the mission who is a liability, and some form of a mutiny. You can always attribute the thrills and chills that go down on a submarine to that lack of air pressure, which will make anyone go bonkers. Topping off Black Sea is the gravitas of Law’s Scottish accent. On Jan. 23, Black Sea will face off against the Jennifer Lopez Universal thriller The Boy Next Door and the Johnny Depp Lionsgate action comedy Mortdecai.
‘Black Sea’ Trailer: Jude Law’s Hunt For Nazi Gold
What's Hot on Deadline
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
California Pol To Wolf Blitzer: Donald Trump "Spinning Out Of Control", Serious Security Threat, Has To Go
Latest Video News
- “What If Our Politicians Weren’t The Bitch Of NRA?” Parkland Student Asks In PSA
- ‘Augie’ Review: Fitness Giant’s ALS Struggle Makes For Moving Love Story
- Seth Meyers: Donald Trump Is Worst President Ever At Lying
- ‘Tomb Raider’ Review: Alicia Vikander’s In On The Action In Far-Fetched But Fun Reboot
- Jimmy Kimmel Unveils New Melania Trump PSA On Cyberbullying
- James Corden And Shaggy Perform Donald Trump & Robert Mueller Theater