Focus Features just dropped the trailer for Kevin Macdonald’s submarine thriller Black Sea starring Jude Law as a captain who assembles a misfit crew for a treasure hunt. Up for grabs at the bottom of the ocean: An old Nazi U-boat with $182 million — a figure which sounds like it could also be the global box office target for the film based on the historical results of the submarine subgenre (read The Hunt for Red October, $200.5M global B.O; Crimson Tide, $157.4M worldwide and U-571, $127.7M worldwide). The fact is, any kind of drama on a submarine is always a crowdpleaser and Black Sea looks like it has it all: A crew of British and Russian sailors (who are apt to be at odds politically), an expert diver for the mission who is a liability, and some form of a mutiny. You can always attribute the thrills and chills that go down on a submarine to that lack of air pressure, which will make anyone go bonkers. Topping off Black Sea is the gravitas of Law’s Scottish accent. On Jan. 23, Black Sea will face off against the Jennifer Lopez Universal thriller The Boy Next Door and the Johnny Depp Lionsgate action comedy Mortdecai.
‘Black Sea’ Trailer: Jude Law’s Hunt For Nazi Gold
What's Hot on Deadline
Uma Thurman To Harvey Weinstein: "I'm Glad It's Going Slowly, You Don't Deserve A Bullet... Stay Tuned"
Latest Video News
- ‘The Four: Battle For Stardom’: Fox Promos Disruptive Singing Competition
- ‘The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’ Review: Lots To Be Thankful For In ‘Gilmore Girls’ Creator’s New…
- ‘Man Who Invented Christmas’ Review: Dan Stevens & Christopher Plummer Turn Scrooge Origin Tale Into A…
- ‘Molly’s Game’s Jessica Chastain & Idris Elba On Working With Aaron Sorkin In His Directorial Debut – The…
- Willem Dafoe On Playing Tough, Managing Kids In ‘Florida Project’ & Getting Fired On His First Movie – The…
- Andrew Garfield On ‘Breathe’: “It Wasn’t An Acting Challenge, It Was A Living Challenge” – The…