WorldStarHipHop is headed from the web to the screen at Paramount Insurge, which bought a pitch for a feature film inspired by the notorious and highly trafficked urban culture and shock video site. Founded in 2005, the WorldStar site has cultivated an online culture of its own around the brand with its 30 million unique visitors per month consuming everything from music videos to viral “street fight” clips. Even that “Apparently” news kid is on the front page of WorldStar today, right up there with Guardians of the Galaxy‘s Chris Pratt dropping Eminem lyrics and amateur prankster vids. How To Make It In America creator Ian Edelman came up with an original pitch based on the web site and is scripting the project for Paramount’s microbudget arm, which he may also direct. Plot is being kept under wraps but is described as being akin to Ferris Bueller’s Day Off in tone. Hip hop impresario Russell Simmons has come aboard to produce alongside Douglas Banker, Trevor Engelson, and site founder Q Worldstar for Def Pictures, Woven, Underground, and World Star Hip Hop respectively as filmmakers eye a Fall shoot in New York City.
‘WorldStarHipHop’ Movie In Works At Paramount Insurge
What's Hot on Deadline
‘Sherlock’ Creators & Cast On Season 4 Finale's Thrills & Heart; Is This Really ‘The Final Problem’ For The Baker Street Boys?
'Hidden Figures' Calculates $25M+ Weekend, But Why Are So Many Movies Bombing Over MLK? - Monday AM Update
'Rogue One' Rises To $980M Global; 'Passengers' Takes Over Offshore No. 1 - International Box Office
Latest Film News
- Isabelle Huppert Adds Another Honor As Oscar Noms Loom
- Gerald Levin To Donald Trump On Rep. John Lewis: Have You No Sense Of Decency, Sir?
- ‘Hidden Figures’ Calculates $25M+ Weekend, But Why Are So Many Movies Bombing Over MLK? – Monday AM Update
- Cannes Film Festival Re-Elects Pierre Lescure As President; Lionsgate Inks Deals For ‘Kicking & Screaming’…
- Oprah Winfrey, Van Jones & Ava DuVernay Talk Politics At Netflix Exec’s Home
- ‘Rogue One’ Rises To $980M Global; ‘Passengers’ Takes Over Offshore No. 1 – International…