ITV has set a premiere date for the next trip to the Grantham estate. Season 5 of Downton Abbey will debut in the UK on September 21 at 9PM local. (The U.S. premiere was previously announced for January 4, 2015 on PBS Masterpiece.) Season 5 kicks off in 1924 as Ramsay MacDonald becomes Britain’s first ever Labour Prime Minister. As I’ve previously reported, Lady Mary, who dealt with the demise of her husband Matthew in S4, will deal with defining how her life moves forward. Guest stars this year include Richard E Grant and Anna Chancellor. Executive producer Gareth Neame recenty told me, “We’re always doing twists and turns. I hope we will have a few things that will surprise this year.” Change is a big theme, as evidenced in the trailer below:
Hot TV Trailer: ‘Downton Abbey’ Season 5; UK Premiere Set For September 21
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
UPDATE: 'Cops' Bryce Dion Killed By Friendly Fire In Omaha While Filming Response To Wendy's Robbery
More From Tartaglione
- 'Maze Runner' Races To $37.6M Internationally With No. 1s In 50 Countries; 'Apes' Crosses $100M In China
- 'Mommy' To Rep Canada In Foreign-Lingo Oscar Race; Belgium Picks 'Two Days, One Night'
- Annabelle Wallis Joins Armie Hammer In Psychological Thriller 'Mine'
- Scotland Votes To Remain In The UK: Political Changes Loom, Effect On Film & TV Biz Uncertain
- Scottish Independence Vote: If The Ayes Have It, What Happens For Film & TV Biz?