EXCLUSIVE: There is a change at the helm of Fox drama The Following. Lost alumna Jennifer Johnson, who joined the Warner Bros. TV-produced series in June as executive producer/day-to-day showrunner, is leaving. She remains at WBTV, where she is under an overall deal and very well liked, and will focus on development. Instead of bringing in a new person two seasons in, which proved not to be the right creative fit for the dense, serialized drama, WBTV has opted to promote within. Writers Brett Mahoney and Alexi Hawley have been upped to executive producers. They will co-run the Kevin Bacon-starring dark thriller alongside director Marcos Siega, the series’ long-time on-set executive producer. The Following creator/executive producer Kevin Williamson had to give up day-to-day responsibilities on the show after two seasons to focus on his new series, CBS’ Stalker. He had recruited Mahoney for that show, but Mahoney will now return to The Following. Williamson previously made a similar transition from the CW’s The Vampire Diaries, which is now run by co-developer Julie Plec, to The Following. He continues to have oversight of The Following and is expected to remain hands-on involved in it. Production on the midseason series is not affected by the showrunner change as it is still in the writing stages. Filming is yet to begin.
Jennifer Johnson Exiting ‘The Following’ As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over
What's Hot on Deadline
'Transformers: The Last Knight' Running Out Of Gas With $15M Opening Day; 5-Day Outlook Now At $63M-$65M
'Quantico': Priyanka Chopra Among 4 Cast Members Returning For Season 3, Michael Seitzman Set As New Showrunner
Latest TV News
- ‘Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later’ Trailer & Premiere Date: The Gang’s All Here — Again
- ‘Downton Abbey’ Movie To Start Production In 2018
- Samantha Bee Looks For All The Words Donald Trump And His Team Are Hiding
- ‘Really?! With Seth & Amy’: Meyers & Poehler Trash Trump/Caesar Protests On ‘Late Night’
- 'Fargo' EP Noah Hawley On Open-Ended Finale, Potential Season 4 & 'Cat's Cradle'
- ‘Marvel’s The Defenders’: First Poster Brings The Solitary Superheroes Together