After a few weeks of on-again off-again negotiations, Maleficent co-star Sharlto Copley has been cast as the lead, Christian Walker, in Powers, the Sony Playstation Network series based on the graphic novel by Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming. Also cast in the direct-to-series project is The Killing and True Blood alumna Michelle Forbes, joining Eddie Izzard. Combining the genres of superhero fantasy, crime noir and police procedural, Powers, produced by Sony Pictures TV, is set in a world full of people with superhuman abilities. It follows the lives of two homicide detectives, Christian Walker (Copley) and Deena Pilgrim (Susan Heyward), who are assigned to protect humans like us and investigate cases involving people with superhuman abilities, referred to as Powers, who glide through the sky on lightning bolts and fire and who clash above cities in epic battle, oblivious to the mortals below. Walker is described as a dapper and charismatic faded hero who lost his powers in a battle with a super-human mass killer. The role was played by Jason Patric in the FX pilot. Forbes plays Retro Girl, the undisputed super star of the Powers community, an icon of justice, selflessness, and business acumen. She also recurs on the new A&E series The Returned. WME-repped South African Copley is currently shooting Hollars.
Sharlto Copley Set As Lead Christian Walker In ‘Powers’, Michelle Forbes Is Retro Girl
What's Hot on Deadline
Cannes Winners: The French Did Well, The Italians Didn't - But Who's Complaining After Cinema's World Cup?
Latest TV News
- NASCAR 600 Ratings Slow Down, ‘Battle Creek’ Ends Even, ‘A.D.’ Ratings Dip
- Charter Nears $55B Deal To Buy Time Warner Cable: Reports
- Netflix Rumored To Want Gerard Depardieu For French ‘House Of Cards’
- Anne Meara Dies; Actress, Comedian Of Stiller Family Was 85
- Marty Pasetta Dies: Longtime Director Of Academy Awards Telecasts Was 82
- ‘X-Factor’ Producers Hit With $2M Lawsuit By Contestant; Says Performance Was “Altered”