The veteran Hollywood publicist died yesterday at his home in St. Augustine, FL. Mack Newberry was 89. A protege of Lee Solters, he spent more than a decade at Solters Roskin Friedman in Los Angeles, working with clients including Carol Burnett, Rita Moreno, Donny and Marie Osmond, Steve Lawrence & Eydie Gorme and Marty Pasetta, who directed Oscar telecasts from 1972-88. Newberry also managed publicity for the Grammy Awards in the pre-cable/Internet years and was West Coast PR rep for the Tonys. He worked as a unit publicist for such films as Doctor Detroit, China Moon, My Girl, Straight Talk and Cop And A Half and TV shows including Steven Spielberg’s seaQuest. He also handled the Tinseltown premiere of The Muppets Go Hollywood in 1979. Before the Texas native and Northwestern grad came to Hollywood, he ran a PR firm in Houston that oversaw publicity for the famous “Battle of the Sexes” tennis match between Bobby Riggs and Billie Jean King at the Astrodome in 1973. Before that he spent more than two decades in broadcasting including a stint at General Manager of KJAC-TV, the NBC affiliate in Beaumont/Port Arthur, Texas. He is survived by daughters, Pattison Brennan and Juli Newman and grandchildren, Christopher, Schafer and Ellie Newman.
R.I.P. Publicist Mack Newberry
What's Hot on Deadline
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
California Pol To Wolf Blitzer: Donald Trump "Spinning Out Of Control", Serious Security Threat, Has To Go
Latest Film News
- Shia LaBeouf, Lucas Hedges To Star In ‘Honey Boy’
- ‘Augie’ Review: Fitness Giant’s ALS Struggle Makes For Moving Love Story
- ‘Can You Ever Forgive Me?’ First Look Trailer Showcases Melissa McCarthy As Literary Forger Lee Israel
- Saudi Arabia Fund Deal For Endeavor Stake Could Close In Week’s Time For $400M
- Female Director Scorecard: MGM’s ‘Taking Flight,’ Others In Wings
- Disney CEO Bob Iger Could Earn Up To $423 Million In Compensation, Advisory Firm Says