Lionsgate has set a July 22, 2016, release date for Power Rangers, a reboot of the ’90s-spawned action franchise. The Saban Brands pic, which is ditching the “Mighty Morphin” tag of yore, follows a group of ordinary high school kids who find themselves infused with extraterrestrial powers and must harness those powers as a team to save the world. Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz are penning the script from a story they wrote with exec producer Roberto Orci. The pic will go up against Warner Bros’ King Arthur that weekend, and it’ll arrive less than two months after the next installment of another retro kids property, Paramount’s Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles 2.
‘Power Rangers’ Invades Theaters In Summer 2016
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Jon Lindstrom Joins 'True Detective'; Dan Buran Boards TNT's Drug-Trade Pilot
- 'Unfinished Business' Redband Trailer: Vince Vaughn And Company Invade Europe
- 'Late Late Show' Guest Hosts Include Drew Carey & Judd Apatow Ahead Of Corden Debut
- Richard Linklater To Receive Palm Springs Visionary Award For 'Boyhood'
- MPTF's Night Before Oscar Fundraiser Setting Up Shop On Fox Lot
- Matt Barr Joins TNT's Drug-Trade Pilot; Katie Sarife In 'The Michelle Knight Story'