Lionsgate has set a July 22, 2016, release date for Power Rangers, a reboot of the ’90s-spawned action franchise. The Saban Brands pic, which is ditching the “Mighty Morphin” tag of yore, follows a group of ordinary high school kids who find themselves infused with extraterrestrial powers and must harness those powers as a team to save the world. Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz are penning the script from a story they wrote with exec producer Roberto Orci. The pic will go up against Warner Bros’ King Arthur that weekend, and it’ll arrive less than two months after the next installment of another retro kids property, Paramount’s Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles 2.
‘Power Rangers’ Invades Theaters In Summer 2016
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- 'Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel' To Discuss Link Between NFL Head Injuries, Domestic Violence: Video
- Ellen DeGeneres Clocks Biggest Opening Week Yet For Her Daytime Talk Show
- J.J. Abrams To Receive VES Society's Visionary Award
- Elisabeth Moss Joins Cast Of 'Truth', Pic Based On Rathergate Scandal
- Broad Green Finds 'Eden', Music Box Jams With 'Mekons'
- Riley Keough To Topline Steven Soderbergh's 'The Girlfriend Experience' On Starz