Lionsgate has set a July 22, 2016, release date for Power Rangers, a reboot of the ’90s-spawned action franchise. The Saban Brands pic, which is ditching the “Mighty Morphin” tag of yore, follows a group of ordinary high school kids who find themselves infused with extraterrestrial powers and must harness those powers as a team to save the world. Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz are penning the script from a story they wrote with exec producer Roberto Orci. The pic will go up against Warner Bros’ King Arthur that weekend, and it’ll arrive less than two months after the next installment of another retro kids property, Paramount’s Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles 2.
‘Power Rangers’ Invades Theaters In Summer 2016
What's Hot on Deadline
'Veep' EP On Season 5 Finale, What's Next For Julia Louis-Dreyfus, 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' Return & Hugh Laurie
Cristina Ferrare Out, Replaced By Debbie Matenopoulos As Co-Host Of Hallmark Channel's 'Home & Family'
'Dory' Posts Record Second Weekend For Animated Movie As Fireworks Die For 'Resurgence'; 'Shallows' Chomps $16M+
Latest Film News
- Vanessa Redgrave Joins Cast Of ‘Film Stars Don’t Die In Liverpool’
- ‘Newtown’ Doc Acquired For Theatrical Distribution Via Abramorama
- Brexit Vote Continues To Weigh On Media Stocks
- ‘Star Trek Beyond’ Trailer: Rihanna Brings Her ‘Sledgehammer’ To The Soundtrack
- BET Awards Winners: ‘Straight Outta Compton’, Beyonce, Michael B. Jordan & More
- ‘Swiss Army Man' Explodes in Debut; 'Hunt For the Wilderpeople' Sizzles: Specialty Box Office