Here’s the first seven minutes of the upcoming Disney XD animated series Star Wars Rebels, which was sneaked tonight after the premiere of Phineas And Ferb: Star Wars. Rebels was the only shard of the Star Wars franchise at Comic-Con this year, and in terms of its timeline in the franchise, its frosh characters won’t be crossing over to the Episode VII feature film. The cartoon series, which includes Star Wars: The Clone Wars executive producer Dave Filoni and X-Men: Days Of Future Past scribe and producer Simon Kinberg behind the scenes, is set five years prior to the original 1977 Star Wars. The Jedi are left hiding, the dark side is dominating the scene, and the Rebel alliance as we know it from Episodes IV-VI hasn’t formed yet. Don’t mistake Rebels as being just for kids: Its camera shots, first-person POV chase sequences and landscape planet vistas would make any future Star Wars feature sublime. Let’s hope that J.J. Abrams and Rian Johnson are taking notes. In this clip, we’re introduced to con artist Ezra (Taylor Gray), who steals a speeder bike from the Empire, only to be cut off by Jedi Kanan (Freddie Prinze Jr.). Star Wars Rebels debuts with a one-hour episode on Disney Channel in October before moving to XD.
Hot TV Clip: Disney XD Toon ‘Rebels’ Rivals Cinematic Look Of ‘Star Wars’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From D’Alessandro
- What Franco & Rogen Will Do To Kill Kim Jong-un In 'The Interview': Hot Trailer
- Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross 'Gone Girl' Score Inspired By Spa Music — Listen
- 'Simpsons' EP Al Jean On Character's Death In 26th Season Premiere: “When We Kill 'Em, They Stay Dead”
- MIPCOM: Kiss' Gene Simmons & Sierra/Engine To Fire Up 'Coliseum'
- VH1 Renews 'Dating Naked' For Second Season
- Behind The Scenes At Deadline's Awardsline TIFF 2014 Studio: Channing Tatum, Mark Ruffalo, Salma Hayek & More