Warner Bros. is keeping Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows helmer David Yates in the director’s chair as the studio moves forward with adaptation Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them. Yates is in talks to helm the first installment of a planned trilogy based on author J.K. Rowling’s spin-off, set decades prior to the events of the Harry Potter saga. Fantastic Beasts takes its name from a Hogwarts textbook that appears on a reading list in the first Potter tome, Harry Potter And The Philosopher’s Stone, and will feature magical creatures and characters from the Potter mythology including the textbook’s fictitious author, Newt Scamander. WB has already set a November 18, 2016 date for the film which Rowling will make her screenwriting debut on. Variety broke the news.
David Yates In Talks For ‘Harry Potter’ Spin-Off ‘Fantastic Beasts’
What's Hot on Deadline
'Gods Of Egypt': 'Selma' Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity - Update
Black Friday Box Office Explodes: Top 20 Pics +112% Over Thanksgiving; Katniss Eyes $74.4M 5-Day - Saturday AM Update
Two-Time Oscar Winner Jane Fonda Back In The Hunt For 'Youth' Three Decades After Her Last Nomination
Universal Lands Hot Novel 'The Girl Before'; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce
Latest Film News
- ‘The Assassin’, ‘Carol’, ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ Top BFI Sight & Sound’s Best Of 2015
- Will DiCaprio, Depp Or Smith Nab Best Actor Oscar Or Does Redmayne Take It Again? — Awardsline
- ‘Gods Of Egypt’: ‘Selma’ Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity…
- ‘Steve Jobs’ Composer Daniel Pemberton: Video Of ‘Circle Of Machines’ Performance
- Deadline’s The Contenders: ‘Son Of Saul’ Director László Nemes & Star Géza Röhrig Discuss The Harrowing Cannes Winner’s Journey…
- What Is This ‘Project Delirium’ Jennifer Lawrence Wants To Direct?