EXCLUSIVE: Comedy Central is headed to the Midwest with @DadBoner, an animated comedy project based on the popular Twitter feed and the book it spawned, Power Moves: Livin’ The American Dream, USA Style, by the feed’s writer, Mike Burns. The cable network has ordered a pilot for the project, written by Burns and Tim Long. The @DadBoner feed is penned by Karl Welzein, a fictional middle-aged Michigan man who is separated from his wife and loves Bob Seger. Welzein’s real identity originally was kept under wraps but subsequently revealed as comedian Burns. On the show, Karl Welzein has developed his own philosophy of life, indulging in dangerously generous helpings of booze, fast food, and American pride. Since his wife kicked him out of the house, Karl has been crashing at his buddy Dave’s and living like a “true bad boy” with “plenty of babes” — in his own mind. Burns and Long executive produce with Avalon’s Kara Baker, Jon Thoday, Richard Allen-Turner and David Martin. Dan Lubetkin is a co-executive producer. Shadow Machine is the animation company. Comedy Central has been looking to expand its animated portfolio beyond stalwart South Park and Brickleberry.
Comedy Central Orders ‘@DadBoner’ Animated Pilot Based On Twitter Feed
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- 'NCIS: Los Angeles' Cuts Into 'Scorpion' On West Coast
- Cindy Chupack Sells Girlfriends Comedy To ABC
- Fred Goss Family Comedy Gets ABC Put Pilot Commitment
- ABC Family Picks Up 'Stitchers' And 'Young & Hungry', Cancels 'Mystery Girls', Passes On 'Unstrung'
- Jenna Elfman Inks Development Deal With 20th TV To Topline New Series
- 'Once Upon A Time' & 'Family Guy' Soar; 'Resurrection', 'Revenge' & 'CSI' Down In Return – Ratings Rat Race